SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gunshow report - first in a long time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunshow report - first in a long time Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
OK, we have a horsepark here in Kentucky. A big state developed park with lots of rolling fields, fences, barns, you name it. And its rented out to worthy causes, like a gunshow. No, we don't tolerate anti gun leftists like our commie neighbors (you, Ohio). But Covid shut things down for the last few years. So this one was a long time coming.

I went to the gunroom and selected a bunch of junk to dispose of so my wife wouldn't have to when I die. Only one great gun, a Browning 7mm mag with beautiful wood and a pretty darn good Loupold scope up top. Another long gun, a very early M70 Winchester, like early 2nd year (1936-7). Other things like a bunch of J frames. And a pair of pen gun things. 2 K frame 22s, both prewar. The 22-32 target was great, and now I've got to figure out what to do with all .32 components. Should have taken them too. The guy I sold it to is a friend, so maybe he'll want them (virgin brass), like 500 of the stuff.

We got to the show a little late and my table pard couldn't get out of his drive. Fog too thick. So along comes a couple of Yokels, crazy guys who had more money than brains. The one said "what you take for the entire table. I had no idea, and was planning to pricing high for the first hour or two. The guy ended up paying me big $$ for all of it. He bought every thing except the non-existent table cloth.

I did the dutiful thing husbands do, handing the cash to my wife to hold for safe keeping. The only thing I'd want at the show was a pretty nice Winchester M1886 in .45-90. It wasn't too pretty, being part of lend-lease. Those Damn Brits give an idiot a stamp and a hammer and deface a well finished gun. I got away without buying it because he wanted $2 grand for it and the minor fact I don't have any ammo. True, I could abuse it with the tons of .45-70 I have but the uglyness of the stamping won the day.

So all I ended up spending was for a coke and two really good hotdogs for my wife and my self.
I also realized the .45-90 uses a light bullet and the rifling is tighter for the-90. Guess I need to stick with 405 grain chunks of lead.

OK, the wife drove me home to weep over my pile of $100 bills. I'll survive somehow. I did probably lose money on the .32-20 target. That'll eat me until the cash wears away.

Horse Park hot dogs are pretty good. The coke was just coke. I enjoyed the young girls backsides I got to see, as always. Packing up to leave is easy when you sold out. We left kind of early since I didn't have any guns leftover.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great day all around-guns sold,fresh air and good company.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
OK, we have a horsepark here in Kentucky.
The Hell you say.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only one great gun, a Browning 7mm mag with beautiful wood and a pretty darn good Loupold scope up top.

Damn, Dick, I may have met you up in Lexington for that one, depending on the price, mind you.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Was going to try to slide up there this afternoon between games.
But turns out I dislocated a rib and likely tore some cartilage so I had to go to the doctor between games to be put in all sorts of worse pain trying to manipulate it back into place.

May swing through tomorrow. Sounds like all your goodies sold anything else worth heading up there with a couple of the boys tomorrow?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
anything else worth heading up there with a couple of the boys tomorrow?
Ammo wasn't as scarce as in the past. Still high though. Lots of semi-auto stuff, but mostly cheap brands. One guy did have a 320 for sale. New fad, hauling all your junk in a kids wagon with a sign on it, then crossing out things you've sold.

Any gun show is worth going to. Except $5 parking and $12 admission. You can sneak in buy using the back door. Guys do it by smoking outside, then coming inside. Huge table full of knives - not factory made. Lots of leather goods.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lexington? I went there c. 2019, also for a gun show. There is an arena, easily the size of a football stadium, below ground level, where I assume all kinds of horse-related stuff takes place (there wasn't any that day). I was a little put off by the parking charge as well.

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
A gun show used to be a common and regular occurrence where I live and now finding one is like finding a unicorn. Sad being that I live in Texas, but typical that I live in liberal Travis County. Sadly the last one I attended years ago in the next county was supposed to be the start of new ones and on the first show a vendor had a negligent discharge 10’ from me and that was the end of that show.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the quick sale. It had to make the day more enjoyable.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Why the hate for the Buckeye state rburg?

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
OK, we have a horsepark here in Kentucky. I enjoyed the young girls backsides I got to see, as always.

Last gunshow I went to here in the ATL area, thoses backsides made me think I was in a horsepark.

Posts: 3574 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:

We Michiganders know...

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe because I was born there. Or because I went to school there thru college. Or because of their lousy drivers. Or because I have to look at them thru my front window every day- Or because of their lousy drivers that clog the roads all the time. I've got more complaints if you've got all day.

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

I’ve never been to a gun show with fresh air. Wink. It’s shocking how many people go out in public without a shower.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

I’ve never been to a gun show with fresh air. Wink. It’s shocking how many people go out in public without a shower.

Less spent on soap and water = more $$$$ to spend on guns and ammo lol

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Keep em coming rburg. Your curmudgeon like bitching about Ohio is quite amusing!.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Lexington? I went there c. 2019, also for a gun show. There is an arena, easily the size of a football stadium, below ground level, where I assume all kinds of horse-related stuff takes place (there wasn't any that day). I was a little put off by the parking charge as well.

You are referring to the Altech Arena. It is way under utilized it is a very nice facility that could be utilized far more my the music community especially.
https://kyhorsepark.com/events...ities/alltech-arena/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep em coming rburg. Your curmudgeon like bitching about Ohio is quite amusing!.

Ohio likes to think they won the Ohio v Michigan war. But look at the results: Ohio got Toledo, and Michigan got the beautiful upper peninsula.

In Michigan our rivers don't catch fire.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
North till you smell it, west till you step in it! ichigan wolverine shit.

Apologies to rburg the OP for dumping on your thread.