SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion tab
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion tab Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
State budget is $180B. Single payer health care for CA would be $400B. That simple math - contained in just one sentence - escapes many morons of the state legislature.

I will retire out of state.

Didn't you get the memo?

The wealthy and corporations will pay for all of this. We're the richest state in the union, of course we can afford this.

Brown may likely veto, since he too was dismayed at who will pay for this fiasco, but the next governor will pass it, no doubt.

But I don't give a shit. I'm outta here soon.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17154 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last one to escape California probably won't get much for their house.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:.... The wealthy and corporations will pay for all of this. We're the richest state in the union, of course we can afford this....

But wealthy corporations will continue to move some or all of their business elsewhere, the (maybe) increased tax collections will not cover the increased cost, CA will go deeper in the hole. Add this to their existing $1 Trillion unfunded pension liability. Sooner or later the debt tsunami will hit, the longer it takes the bigger it will be.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Get out while you can.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Add this to their existing $1 Trillion unfunded pension liability. Sooner or later the debt tsunami will hit, the longer it takes the bigger it will be.
You forgot to factor in the most obvious issue with this boondoggle. Since when have estimates for any government program ever been even remotely accurate? I believe $400b is shall we say, wishful thinking.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Members of Ca Senate have too much time on their hands. They research, write, present a bill that provides services that won't be funded and still think they are serving their people well.

CA GET A CLUE! Vote these people out of office. They are wasting your money!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Add this to their existing $1 Trillion unfunded pension liability. Sooner or later the debt tsunami will hit, the longer it takes the bigger it will be.
You forgot to factor in the most obvious issue with this boondoggle. Since when have estimates for any government program ever been even remotely accurate? I believe $400b is shall we say, wishful thinking.

With the current trend inpolitics (and economics) in CA gov't, the outcome is certain. We don't know the slope of the decay curve. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck California, I'm sure everything will work out really well. Uncle Sam will bail you out if anything bad happens.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post