SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion tab
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate — without a way to pay its $400-billion tab Login/Join 
posted
Build it and they will come. Roll Eyes

http://www.latimes.com/politic...mlstory.html?ref=yfp

A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an initial step forward Thursday when the state Senate approved a bare-bones bill that lacks a method for paying the $400-billion cost of the plan.

The proposal was made by legislators led by Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) at the same time President Trump and Republican members of Congress are working to repeal and replace the federal Affordable Care Act.

“Despite the incredible progress California has made, millions still do not have access to health insurance and millions more cannot afford the high deductibles and co-pays, and they often forgo care,” Lara said during a floor debate on the bill.

The bill, which now goes to the state Assembly for consideration, will have to be further developed, Lara conceded, adding he hopes to reach a consensus on a way to pay for it.

Republican senators opposed the bill as a threat to the state’s finances.

“We don’t have the money to pay for it,” Sen. Tom Berryhill (R-Modesto) said. “If we cut every single program and expense from the state budget and redirected that money to this bill, SB 562, we wouldn’t even cover half of the $400-billion price tag.”

Berryhill also said the private sector is better suited to provide healthcare.

“I absolutely don’t trust the government to run our health system,” he said. “What has the government ever done right?”

Lara’s bill would provide a Medicare-for-all-type system that he believed would guarantee health coverage for all Californians without the out-of-pocket costs. Under a single-payer plan, the government replaces private insurance companies, paying doctors and hospitals for healthcare.

The California Nurses Assn., which sponsored the bill, released a fiscal analysis this week that proposed raising the state sales and business receipts taxes by 2.3% to raise $106 billion of the annual cost, with the rest proposed to come from state and federal funding already going to Medicare and Medicaid services.

Sen. Ted Gaines (R-El Dorado Hills) called the plan “reckless” and said the taxes would hurt businesses and families while financially crippling the state government.

“It’s offensive to the people who have to pay for it,” he said.

Some Democrats felt the bill was rushed and undeveloped. Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) withheld his vote on the bill on grounds it does not provide enough detail of what a single-payer system would look like.

“This is the Senate kicking the can down the road to the Assembly and asking the Assembly to fill in all of the blanks,” Hueso said. “That’s not going to happen this year.”

Lara said action is required because of what is happening in Washington.

“With President Trump’s promise to abandon the Affordable Care Act as we know it — for one that leaves millions without access to care — California is once again tasked to lead," he told his colleagues.

He said his father recently had heart bypass surgery but went through the emergency room for help after his insurance company initially turned him down.

Even if the bill is approved, it has to go to Gov. Jerry Brown, who has been skeptical, and then voters would have to exempt it from spending limits and budget formulas in the state Constitution. In addition, the state would have to get federal approval to repurpose existing funds for Medicare and Medicaid.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
As with all socialized medicine, the costs go up as bureaucrats and consumers abuse the system. The quality and availability of health services goes down. Many of the more capable healthcare professionals relocate (or serve only "private" patients who can pay for the services themselves). Raising tax rates to pay for the services will drive business away, actual tax collections may increase little, if at all.

I am skeptical of Gov Brown being skeptical -- he may give some lip service, but once he has his gravy taken care of, he will sign it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Kaiser Permanente, the largest private employer in the state, insures 8.5 million Californians. Although in the old days it was considered "socialized medicine", it is in fact the last effective bastion of private, doctor-controlled medical care. KP is strongly opposed to the single-payer program, it would put the insurance portion of KP out of business. The rest of the organization could survive, but would in my opinion be severely hampered by the constraints of state-paid, state-controlled medicine. Politicians will promise more than they are willing to pay for. Even KP cannot sustain that kind of scam.

Posts: 18352 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
“What has the government ever done right?”
Just once, I'd like an answer to that question. In my experience, I can't think of a single thing.
quote:
In addition, the state would have to get federal approval to repurpose existing funds for Medicare and Medicaid.
Yeah, good luck with that one morons. Roll Eyes Your sanctuary city BS is soon to take huge amounts of federal money out of your coffers, so adding on more expenses...yeah, brilliant.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Just once, I'd like an answer to that question. In my experience, I can't think of a single thing.

Well, I can't provide a counterexample, if one does exist, but here's a history-book-full of blunders that prove your point.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Despite the incredible progress California has made, millions still do not have access to health insurance and millions more cannot afford the high deductibles and co-pays, and they often forgo care,” Lara said during a floor debate on the bill.

Progress?

So explain to me if Obamacare is all that and a bag of chips, how is it millions do not have access to health care or can't afford it.

And the millions you plan to provide coverage for? Get ready for that number to multiply 10 fold once the illegals realize a little swim will get them and their babies and cousins health care.

All these fuckers that are already there are taking advantage of the system now. Need s trip to the doc because baby has the sniffles? Just go to urgent care. The unpaid bill will be subsidized by the premiums paid by law abiding, tax paying citizens. Now not only will they be stuck with those high premiums (you don't think they'll go down because the state is going to "foot the bill") but they'll also get to cover it out of their higher taxes.

But the quality of living is so high there Roll Eyes

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
California needs one of those money trees my dad used to tell me we didn't have one of.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
California & PR should get together on a mutual plans seeing they are so fiscally sound? Maybe even grow beanstalks so the residents can climb out of fantasyland..

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Want to see what government run health care looks like? Go to the VA. Yeah, there's you a shining example of why we as a nation should be running away form single payer. But, hey, they are just vets, and its not the same as real people. :roll eyes:

They should, however, title the bill "How CA is going to run more businesses out of the state healthcare bill".

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37174 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Want to see what government run health care looks like? Go to the VA. Yeah, there's you a shining example of why we as a nation should be running away form single payer.

They really don't care about the quality... as long as everyone is "covered".

They also don't care about how they are going to pay for it or what the effects will be. That can all be sorted out later. It's 'historic' you know, and that's all that matters!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Beat the Germans and the Japanese in World War II?

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that this health plan costs more than the actual California state budget? AND, we the working class will pay/subsidize it. I guaranf@@kentee you we will move if this shithole state moves to this.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1437 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, what's new? CA has been inventing ways to burn through cash with no means to pay for it since the birth of Christ.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
There's been no pain as a result of overspending so far so why stop now? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I read somewhere that this health plan costs more than the actual California state budget? AND, we the working class will pay/subsidize it. I guaranf@@kentee you we will move if this shithole state moves to this.

State budget is $180B. Single payer health care for CA would be $400B. That simple math - contained in just one sentence - escapes many morons of the state legislature.

I will retire out of state.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:

Well, kalifornistan is only TWO TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT.

So another half a trillion should not matter.

And the sad part is that when it collapses we non-kali tax payers will end up paying it. For da chirren, ya know.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego)

Nyerk, nyerk, nyerk. So if Lara is mean to Hueso, does that make Lara bad to the bone?

quote:
Lara said action is required because of what is happening in Washington.

“With President Trump’s promise to abandon the Affordable Care Act as we know it — for one that leaves millions without access to care — California is once again tasked to lead," he told his colleagues.

So the American people, acting through the Federal government, have made it clear that they are no longer willing to pay for ObamaCare or anything like it - and your response is to "lead" by demanding the feds repurpose their spending to cover spending you want to do to replace the federal spending that will no longer occur.

Mmmmm, "leadership".

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
quote:

Beat the Germans and the Japanese in World War II?
Come on. Really? You're going to give that one to the government? Some of the biggest failures in that war were specifically due to government meddling. If not for the likes of MacArthur, Nimitz, and other military leaders winning it for them, government would have completely hosed up the entire war. And even if I did agree with you, that's one somewhat ancient success across the 200+ years of the US government? Again, really?

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Want to see what government run health care looks like? Go to the VA. Yeah, there's you a shining example of why we as a nation should be running away form single payer.

They really don't care about the quality... as long as everyone is "covered".
But this is a bit different due to the scope. I wish someone would ask these nitwits to explain the difference between health insurance and health care. The terms are used synonymously but they are obviously worlds apart in reality. No way, even if passed, could California provide access to healthcare for everyone in the state, even if wait times were quadrupled. That fantasy is every bit as absurd as the cost of this monstrosity being 'manageable'.

I believe this was passed in an 'unfinished' form for a reason, because any attempt to draw it all together would have proven to be impossible, even for the delusional idiot liberals in the state.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish someone would ask these nitwits to explain the difference between health insurance and health care. The terms are used synonymously but they are obviously worlds apart in reality.

One sounds like something I have to pay for?
I want the free one! Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post