SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: The Porta-Potty Conundrum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: The Porta-Potty Conundrum Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
You drop something into a well-used porta-potty (e.g., a county fair, music festival, large construction site). You are fairly certain that the item can be recovered and restored to undamaged condition. You must, however, go shoulder deep in excrement and porta-potty juice to recover the item. No PPE available. Dish soap and hose available for cleanup immediately following.

Question:
What dollar value must this item have before you will actually attempt recovery.

Choices:
$10 or less (nominal value, i'm getting anything I drop)
$10-100 (a few dozen dollars)
$100-500 (a couple hundred bucks)
$500-1000 (about a thousand)
$1000-$2000 (a couple thousand dollars)
$2000-100,000 (a lot of money)
$100,000 - $1,000,000 (essentially no amount of money can make me do it)

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
When I shot a lot of pistol matches I was always very careful when I had to take a dump in a porta potty. Dropping my gun in the shitter was something I avoided, but I heard of it happening.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9368 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For clarity, by shoulder deep I mean reaching into the pile up to your shoulder (not wading into a lagoon of poo that is shoulder deep).

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Find a trash bag and glove up.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Find a trash bag and glove up.

Outside the parameters of the hypothetical, but I understand that is what most people would do given a real life situation. I'm sure there's still some dollar amount that is below the threshold--like, nobody would go in after a book of matches.

posted Hide Post
Pay a freshman frat boy $35.00 to retrieve my $475.00 pocket knife

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at basic training for the second time in 2010 at Fort Knox, KY. (I was there for OSUT in 1992)

One moron individual dropped his rifle in one of the old block house crappers that has been there at least since 1992. I know that because I used that range in 1992 and occasionally during our Annual Training for my Civil Affairs Unit which I served from 01/2010 to 12/2015.

I have been in some horrendous situations both in LE and as a Medical Examiner but it would take something very valuable for me to go in after it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Shit no.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I voted $100,000 but I'm not sure I'd do it even for that--I'd find a maintenance crew and pay them to recover it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
For clarity, by shoulder deep I mean reaching into the pile up to your shoulder (not wading into a lagoon of poo that is shoulder deep).

To me that means your head is under the poop level. I'm not sticking my head in that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
None of the above. Assuming there was nobody nearby I could pay to do the recovery, Mrs.BurtonRW and I agree that the item would only be recovered if it held some irreplaceable/sentimental value.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not many of you would make very good plumbers! I had a good friend and customer who had an apartment building with a plugged up sewer. He went down with me, sure enough, shit balls all over the floor. As I was cleaning the sewer, he stayed his distance say "I don't know how you can do f'ing that"

Just said I was used to it, then picked up a piece of shit and tossed toward him, he damn near puked. Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
None of the above. Assuming there was nobody nearby I could pay to do the recovery, Mrs.BurtonRW and I agree that the item would only be recovered if it held some irreplaceable/sentimental value.

-Rob
Ha ha! Sentimental value for you or for her? I don't have to ask which of the two of you would be going in!

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My nephew dropped his cell phone in one. The next day, he had a brand new cell phone.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10710 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'd find sticks or something to fish it out or pay someone else to get it. It's not just the excrement - you could get a nasty virus like hepatitis that could ruin your life.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Well.... on a submarine under way, the "stuff" goes into the Sanitary tank #2. There is or at least was, a PM that had to be done inside the tank. Being the low man on the totem pole when I first got on the boat I had the pleasure of donning garbage bags and a respirator and going in after it was pumped. I did it for E3 pay but I'd need a bit more than that these days.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, there is nothing in this world that I own over $2k that fits in a shitter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

So, how much sentimental value does a 400 oz gold bar have ($760k value)?