SIGforum
Best ear plugs for sleeping?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2480089864

April 15, 2020, 07:02 PM
Jeff Yarchin
Best ear plugs for sleeping?
The 3 other beings that share my room at night snore loud enough to wake the dead. I have been using 3M Plus ear plugs and they worked well.

I ran out and reordered them. To my surprise they were 1/3 shorter for the exact same item.

Any suggestions other than moving to another room? Big Grin
April 15, 2020, 07:23 PM
jeffxjet
BY far the best I've ever tried. I've used several being around jets on the ramp all the time. Comfortable for long periods of time and quiet. I use them at work and to sleep, they have improved my sleeping by at least double.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...kCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

April 15, 2020, 08:25 PM
Jeff Yarchin
Perfect, thank you!
April 15, 2020, 10:04 PM
flashguy
I hope you find something that works for you. Me? I could sleep through a bomb explosion outside.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
April 15, 2020, 10:13 PM
comet24
I don't use earplugs to sleep often but always carry foam one with me when I travel.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
April 15, 2020, 10:25 PM
cas
I need to look into alternatives.
Once or twice a year I will work a large multi day shooting match, I end up sharing a room with a buddy. And he's quite the snorer. So I end up wearing foam ear plugs all night. But this is after having worn them all day long. After the second day or so, wearing them 16+ hours a day/night, my ear canals start to get raw. It's rather painful.

I have a couple sets of molded ear plugs, but honestly they don't work as well as the foam ones, so I don't use them. (Wonder if I could sleep in them? The pressure on the side of my head might be painful)

I know they make wax ear plugs, but I've never tried them.

April 15, 2020, 10:37 PM
Sailor1911
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
The 3 other beings that share my room at night snore loud enough to wake the dead. I have been using 3M Plus ear plugs and they worked well.

I ran out and reordered them. To my surprise they were 1/3 shorter for the exact same item.

Give 'em the pillow! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
April 15, 2020, 11:03 PM
jeffxjet
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I need to look into alternatives.
Once or twice a year I will work a large multi day shooting match, I end up sharing a room with a buddy. And he's quite the snorer. So I end up wearing foam ear plugs all night. But this is after having worn them all day long. After the second day or so, wearing them 16+ hours a day/night, my ear canals start to get raw. It's rather painful.

I have a couple sets of molded ear plugs, but honestly they don't work as well as the foam ones, so I don't use them. (Wonder if I could sleep in them? The pressure on the side of my head might be painful)

I know they make wax ear plugs, but I've never tried them.

I used to wear the foam ones in the jet for long periods of time and they rubbed my ears raw, and gave me a terrible jaw ache because they push out on the ear canal badly. The howard leight's I linked to in the second post are much gentler on the ear canal, they expand but they don't push. If you have not tried them, I highly recommend giving them try. I can wear them for hours and not even realize they are in.

April 16, 2020, 04:13 AM
l33571
I have the same issues of a snoring wife. The ear plugs linked to work quite well but over a period of several days eventually made my ears very sore since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a lot. The pressure against the pillow is what I believe is the cause.

I use the same plugs on the range (under electronic protection) and can wear them for hours on end without the same issues. I hope they work better for you. I have to take a break from them to let my ears heal up so they aren't so sore. I just move to another bed for a few days. She gets mad and I get to sleep. Oh well.
April 16, 2020, 04:30 AM
Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
I have the same issues of a snoring wife. The ear plugs linked to work quite well but over a period of several days eventually made my ears very sore since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a lot. The pressure against the pillow is what I believe is the cause.

I use the same plugs on the range (under electronic protection) and can wear them for hours on end without the same issues. I hope they work better for you. I have to take a break from them to let my ears heal up so they aren't so sore. I just move to another bed for a few days. She gets mad and I get to sleep. Oh well.

Try cutting the ends off about 1/4".

I actually sleep every night with earbuds on. I have the volume super low. Been doing that for years now.
April 16, 2020, 05:05 AM
l33571
Thanks Nismo! Will try that tonight and see how it goes.
April 16, 2020, 06:22 AM
BigSwede
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

Give 'em the pillow! Big Grin

"Those aren't pillows!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4