SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best ear plugs for sleeping?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best ear plugs for sleeping? Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
The 3 other beings that share my room at night snore loud enough to wake the dead. I have been using 3M Plus ear plugs and they worked well.

I ran out and reordered them. To my surprise they were 1/3 shorter for the exact same item.

Any suggestions other than moving to another room? Big Grin

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
BY far the best I've ever tried. I've used several being around jets on the ramp all the time. Comfortable for long periods of time and quiet. I use them at work and to sleep, they have improved my sleeping by at least double.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...kCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Perfect, thank you!

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I hope you find something that works for you. Me? I could sleep through a bomb explosion outside.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't use earplugs to sleep often but always carry foam one with me when I travel.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I need to look into alternatives.
Once or twice a year I will work a large multi day shooting match, I end up sharing a room with a buddy. And he's quite the snorer. So I end up wearing foam ear plugs all night. But this is after having worn them all day long. After the second day or so, wearing them 16+ hours a day/night, my ear canals start to get raw. It's rather painful.

I have a couple sets of molded ear plugs, but honestly they don't work as well as the foam ones, so I don't use them. (Wonder if I could sleep in them? The pressure on the side of my head might be painful)

I know they make wax ear plugs, but I've never tried them.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
The 3 other beings that share my room at night snore loud enough to wake the dead. I have been using 3M Plus ear plugs and they worked well.

I ran out and reordered them. To my surprise they were 1/3 shorter for the exact same item.

Give 'em the pillow! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I need to look into alternatives.
Once or twice a year I will work a large multi day shooting match, I end up sharing a room with a buddy. And he's quite the snorer. So I end up wearing foam ear plugs all night. But this is after having worn them all day long. After the second day or so, wearing them 16+ hours a day/night, my ear canals start to get raw. It's rather painful.

I have a couple sets of molded ear plugs, but honestly they don't work as well as the foam ones, so I don't use them. (Wonder if I could sleep in them? The pressure on the side of my head might be painful)

I know they make wax ear plugs, but I've never tried them.

I used to wear the foam ones in the jet for long periods of time and they rubbed my ears raw, and gave me a terrible jaw ache because they push out on the ear canal badly. The howard leight's I linked to in the second post are much gentler on the ear canal, they expand but they don't push. If you have not tried them, I highly recommend giving them try. I can wear them for hours and not even realize they are in.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same issues of a snoring wife. The ear plugs linked to work quite well but over a period of several days eventually made my ears very sore since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a lot. The pressure against the pillow is what I believe is the cause.

I use the same plugs on the range (under electronic protection) and can wear them for hours on end without the same issues. I hope they work better for you. I have to take a break from them to let my ears heal up so they aren't so sore. I just move to another bed for a few days. She gets mad and I get to sleep. Oh well.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
I have the same issues of a snoring wife. The ear plugs linked to work quite well but over a period of several days eventually made my ears very sore since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a lot. The pressure against the pillow is what I believe is the cause.

I use the same plugs on the range (under electronic protection) and can wear them for hours on end without the same issues. I hope they work better for you. I have to take a break from them to let my ears heal up so they aren't so sore. I just move to another bed for a few days. She gets mad and I get to sleep. Oh well.

Try cutting the ends off about 1/4".

I actually sleep every night with earbuds on. I have the volume super low. Been doing that for years now.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nismo! Will try that tonight and see how it goes.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

Give 'em the pillow! Big Grin

"Those aren't pillows!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post