SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MY German Shepherd Dap went to the Bridge today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MY German Shepherd Dap went to the Bridge today Login/Join 
Don't burn
the day away
posted
I walked my beautiful 13 year old to the bridge, just now I hugged his regal neck and for the first time in our lives he ran on without me. Only the amazing memories I have of him will out number my tears.

Dap was 13 and he was the best dog I have ever had and will ever have.
RIP big boy.

He`s been slowing down and had DM, I put him in the kennel Friday because we were going to the Cape for vacation. The kennel called me at 8 am this morning and said he wasn't right. I dropped everything and drove the 2 hours to the kennel and got him. Got him home and he wouldn't get up.

Vet did X-rays, severely enlarged right side of heart and his rear legs were gone. DM is a horrible disease. He was very distressed, he waited for me which breaks my heart but they all do when they go.

He stopped breathing twice while I sat with him and I called for the vet to come in and send him on his way to the bridge.

13 years is a long time for for a Shepherd and in that time we hiked and mt biked over 10k miles together. He was a trail machine, a guardian for my family and my best friend.

I'm thankful I have a my 3 year old female with me as my family is still one the cape.

As I was telling my wife on the phone a dragon fly landed on my daughters finger at the beach where they sitting.

Love you DAP and I`ll see you on the other side.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
RIP Dap. It sounds like you had a wonderful life and keep a spot warm for your human family when they see you on the other side of the bridge.

Jacks, our 18 year old, just crossed the bridge about 3 weeks ago and will welcome you.

Posts: 3734 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I like to think he'll be waiting for you on the other side. Wouldn't that be a warm welcome? Sorry for your loss.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29716 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
RIP Dap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this. Losing a pet is awful Frown

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend Dap.

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about Dap. Your picture link isn't working. Feel free to email me if you need something hosted and I'll get it online for you.

Growing up I had a GSD that was a wonderful family dog and the fiercest of protectors. They are amazing animals.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The dog I got in college died 7.5 years ago and I still miss him. So sorry for your loss. Something special about a dog lover’s relationship with their pup.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss, liner Frown RIP, Dap.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I'm sorry to hear about Dap. Your picture link isn't working. Feel free to email me if you need something hosted and I'll get it online for you.

Growing up I had a GSD that was a wonderful family dog and the fiercest of protectors. They are amazing animals.

Email sent and thank you very much. He was a beautiful dog.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs are God's gift to humans.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry. I always wish there was something I could say to help ease the pain, sadly there is nothing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
So sad to read of your loss.

Dap is happy and free from pain.

And will be waiting for you.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
So sad for your loss.

You will indeed be together, again.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Beautiful boy! Sorry for your pain. Take a couple of weeks and go find another GSD to rescue you.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear. Feel blessed that he picked you and your family to share his life with. It is difficult when we lose our beloved pet family members but I never regret having them as part of the family as our lives are so much fuller because of them.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post