SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We just put my GF's dog down.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We just put my GF's dog down. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted

She was a Snoodle (Poodle X Schnauzer), 16.5YO, almost totally blind and deaf, incontinent, and demented. She was a wonderful little dog but her time had come. She was my dog's best friend and will be missed.

The GF had a veterinarian visit and take care of it in a familiar environment. The vet was sensitive/professional and it couldn't have gone better. I have been present for the dispatch of several dogs and this is by far best the way to do it, IMHO.

So long, Scrat (aka "The Rat"), you will not be forgotten.

"If there isn't any dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Have to admit, when we took Madaline in, my 14 year-old Brittany, I learned in hindsight having the vet come to us would've been better. The other three dogs were all walking around looking at me as if to ask where did their matriarch go?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardest thing ever putting down a pet. Done it more than once with our rescue kitties. I hope your GF is OK. Sending good thoughts to both you and her.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Why is it so fucking traumatic?

My human relatives/friends/acquaintances can die like flies, I'm saddened of course but don't sit around all afternoon crying like a 8YO girl. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Scrat! Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Condolences...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It’s tough to lose a friend who’s affection for, and loyalty to us is unbounded.
Condolences to your girlfriend, you, and Merlot.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

My human relatives/friends/acquaintances can die like flies, I'm saddened of course but don't sit around all afternoon crying like a 8YO girl. Frown

It's because we lose their unconditional love for us, that's why.

Sorry about the loss.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am really sorry for your loss.

I've been extremely fortunate that all of mine have passed in their sleep before I had to make that terrible decision of when it is time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. We've had to put several pets down over the years and it never gets easier with the next one.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Very sorry. Frown

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry too. Our friends had a beautiful German shepherd. They just put her down due to seizures she was having. The last one didn’t stop. They are broken hearted.
One of the hard things in life.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very sorry, Jim.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know how it feels.... sucks... it's the worse part of having pets...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear,I know the sadness from last year and its knocking on my door again with my big dog trap now.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Me, too, Jim. Me, too.

I've weathered the loss of some pets well, but for the most part they are devastating.

I feel for you.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Scrat sweet girl...and if you happen upon my two, give em a lick or two for me Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Their love is so simple and so complete.

My condolences to you and your girlfriend, Jim. And to Merlot.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Very difficult decision to make, but you must look at the quality of life for the pet. When their time has come ,they let you know.
So sorry for your loss.
R.I.P. Scat.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post