SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We just put my GF's dog down.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We just put my GF's dog down. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, it is a very difficult situation. Prayers sent.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very sorry to hear of your GF's companion crossing the rainbow bridge. It's a tough, no doubt about it.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry y'all had to make this decision, and glad you found someone to help make it as painless for her as possible.

It never gets easier, and I guess I prefer it that way.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Jim. My little dog Squirt had kidney failure and we had a vet come to our house. Best way to handle a bad situation imho. My other dog Barney was lost for a couple months as he and Squirt were together constantly for 10 years. Prayers sent.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. Hardest part of having pets.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
So sorry, rest assured our old Bud & Wendy will be waiting on the other side for Scrat when she crosses the Rainbow Bridge to join them.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
...It never gets easier, and I guess I prefer it that way.
Indeed. If it got easier then we would be loosing something very precious.

The vet who put Scrat down was very gentle with the dog and with the human critters who were present. (She looked like she was about 15YO.) She works for a Veterinary Emergency Center and does a lot of 'home visits" like this.

Christ on a crutch, what a way to make a living. That can't be psychologically healthy.

When I was in high school, I spent my summer vacations on my grandparent's farm in East Tennessee. A farmer near by had an old and very ill dog that needed to be put down. He didn't want do it himself, so he offered me $20 or so to do it for him. So I lead the dog off into the woods with a shovel and my new Colt Woodsman. I dug a shallow grave, shot the dog in the back of his head, and burrowed him.

Easy money right? $20 Wasn't too bad for a kid in the mid 1960s. Except that picture of that dog looking up at me has haunted me in my dreams every week or so for the last 50 years.

Bad deal. Hard earned $20. I'd give a 1000 X or 10000 X $20 to delete that scene.

It's time to go to bed. This day has sucked big time. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Dogs go to Heaven, a just God would have it no other way.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
^ ^ ^ ^ Why is it so fucking traumatic?

My human relatives/friends/acquaintances can die like flies, I'm saddened of course but don't sit around all afternoon crying like a 8YO girl. Frown

Because our pets know the real us. We don't put up walls or hide behind a fake appearance with our pets. I think that allows us to grow closer to our animals.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Just had to put one of my rotties down last weekend. I rescued him 6 years ago. I'm guessing total age was around 9-10.

Still have the collar that one of the guys here Karma'd me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Easy money right? $20 Wasn't too bad for a kid in the mid 1960s. Except that picture of that dog looking up at me has haunted me in my dreams every week or so for the last 50 years.

Bad deal. Hard earned $20. I'd give a 1000 X or 10000 X $20 to delete that scene.

About that same time maybe a little earlier I shot my first and last little bird off a telephone pole with my B-B gun, seeing him flop around after he fell to the ground before he died made me angry that I did it and cried. I've never been able to do that again my whole life, kill a bird or any small animal. Still haunts me today when I picture that little bird flopping on the ground..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
As a pet owner and a tried and true animal lover this is a lost that one can never express .

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
It’s not fair that their lives are so much shorter than ours. I’m very sorry for your girlfriend’s (and your) loss, Jim.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post