SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone familiar with HH (Helly Hansen) jackets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with HH (Helly Hansen) jackets? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Looking for a ski type jacket. A shell with some insulation. I travel a bunch for work, often times to cold climates, the jacket will also be used for Snowboarding/Snowmobiling. I'm looking in the $300-$400 range. I have tons of layers so this jacket doesnt need to be rated for Antarctica, but I'm looking for a little more than just a shell.

This model is one I tried on today at a local shop and I liked it. I know all about North Face, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx...etc but not so much HH. Is the quality present in this brand?

Thanks,

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have a HH raincoat that’s gotta be 20 years old now and it’s still in near perfect condition. It rarely gets used anymore but when I worked outside I wore it a lot.

I don’t know if the quality has diminished in the last 20ish years but if not then I’d say you are good to go.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
HH has been around for a very long time. AFAIK they are still a solid brand. See lots of their stuff standing in the lift lines.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used HH stuff and its first rate. I think they supply the commercial fishing industry with jackets too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an offshore sailing HH rain jacket, wore it once to a football game driving rain at 37 degrees. Stayed dry.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They make good coats.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
Buy once/cry once, for sure.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Wore a HH jacket when I was commercial fishing in Alaska ... loved that jacket and wished I still had it.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Same as old dino, but x epinephrine’s was out f a ape Cod. Just started seeing some heir stuff out on the average person within the last couple of years. Used to be good stuff.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Did you try on the hood? I see it has a "helmet compatible" hood, and in my limited experience that translates to "doesn't fit for shit if you don't have a helmet on."

I currently have a similar Patagonia jacket that I hate for multiple reasons, but I didn't pull up the hood in the store and the "helmet compatible hood" on it is absolutely terrible. When I put the hood on, it flops over my head and down to my chin, completely covering my vision. It has an elastic band you can tighten to hold it in place without a helmet in theory, but it just doesn't work.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
HH makes excellent gear...I'm a fan! I'm also a big fan of Marmot gear! Cool

We've got a couple of HH jackets currently in our household, but my snow sports gear is all Marmot. I've also got two Marmot backpacking tents, and my son & I both have three Marmot sleeping bags each!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I bought a Spyder ski jacket a few years ago and it is warm and well constructed. I believe it cost $300-$400. If I lost it, I would buy another one just like it.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
They make great sailing gear. No idea about their skiing gear.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top notch reputation. I just got rid of a HH cold water survival suit that I had for 45 years- it still looked to be in good shape.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
When I was assigned to BRIXMIS back in '81 I got issued with three HH Norwegian shirts.

I'm wearing one right now, with one in the wash and the third in a draw.

My fleecie and insert got stolen off the back of my chair at a guest day a few years back. That, too, was like new, and in 1981 I still had nineteen years left to serve in the Army.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
best wet weather/cold weather jacket I ever purchased

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
HH is the gold standard that all other foul weather gear is measured against.

I haven’t used any since the mid 90s when I was in the CG, we had a ship that bought it for us. And I had to turn it in when I left. Then in 2003 the CG got with the program and began issuing (means you gotta buy it) all weather parka made of gortex. You could buy the bottoms or the unit could buy them but only the top was required.

If you don’t buy HH, gortex is the next thing..but it’s expensive

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I like their gear a lot, you are of course partially paying for the name, but I’ll pay for gear that I feel I’ll get years of value from.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak for the quality of current HH gear, but if they are close to their manufacturing and quality standards from ~25 years ago you should be gtg with their product.

My HH ski jacket, from the bright yellow, green, orange, purple and blue era of ski fashion, is, except for being perma-dirty is just about perfect in all other aspects.

It is still as water-proof on the day it was brand new, and the zippers, velcro, snaps and pull-cords are all still almost perfect condition.

It was used often for many years of skiing, and I use the coat now for shoveling / snow-blowing duty and take it along on winter trips to have available for any ‘dirty work’ that may be encountered like changing a tire or something.

If your body tends to run hot make sure the ‘side vents’ are adequate. A jacket that has ‘pit zips’ is nice for this as well as a venting across the upper back.

Also make sure that the hood is truly ‘helmet compatible’ if that is a feature important to you.

The one on this coat looks to be ‘just barely’ helmet compatible. With the hood up you may experience restricted movement, and it looks like you have to have the zipper pulled down to the bottom of your neck to get the hood either on or off of your head. This might not seem like a big deal but in very foul and windy and cold and snowing/sleeting/raining weather it can be.

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phenomenal equipment!
expensive, yes. But worth every penny!

We use their stuff on boats (tow boats) in less than favorable conditions, ant they'll keep you warm and dry.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post