SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone familiar with HH (Helly Hansen) jackets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with HH (Helly Hansen) jackets? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now owned by Musto, also a good brand. I have used there sailing gear for years, great stuff.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HH is solid for snowsports apparel, they're competitive with the big American brands in this marketplace. I usually stay away from insulated/waterproof jackets as I prefer to layer my mid layers and not be bound-up with all-in-one type jacket. Their Odin 9, Ridge Infinity and Sogn Shell are their more popular jackets, all three are also 3-ply shells, which I prefer over 2-layer shells.

Their sailing/foul weather gear is where they stand apart.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought my first fleece jacket at TJ Max about 20 years ago cause it was cheap, and I needed a warm layer. Had never heard of HH, and it looked odd, but soon realized it was something different.

Wore it out, warmest fleece I've ever had, nothing since has been better, and most hasn't even come close.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
I have used there sailing gear for years, great stuff.
Last I knew, but it's been ten years since we sold our boat, HH was the top name in sailing foul weather gear.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
HH is the standard issue to ski school instructors here in Park City. I've never heard any complaints, and the locals here bitch about everything, so they must be pretty good.

I have a lot of Stio brand stuff, and it is pretty darned good, though the styling is aimed at a bit younger demographic than 60+.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
HH is the standard issue to ski school instructors here in Park City.

Word of caution when observing what mtn staff and outdoor professionals are wearing.

Getting uniforms made in the outdoor industry is an absolute pain in the ass, for both the employer and the manufacturer/brand; the vast majority of apparel brands steer far, far away from that business. Helly Hansen and The North Face are the two major uniform suppliers for many lift/resort areas, mainly because they have the capacity to handle this separate piece of business. Most companies find doing uniforms a giant pain when managing design, approvals, production, inventory and billing. Resorts are always looking for the best price, usually they're stuck with the two mentioned brands or, what array of cheap, no-name brands where those items have to be replaced at season's end because build & material quality is so low.

Patagonia and Columbia also used to be major players however, changes in management has seen them walk away; Arc'Teryx dabbles but, they're having big changes in their business. Other popular outdoor brands are used, however those locations are buying out of a pre-set catalog and not having custom colors, with custom badging, embroidery, and all the features they want.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
HH is the standard issue to ski school instructors here in Park City.

HH is uniform provider for ALL of Vail's ski areas. I worked in the industry for 36 years and wore some low bid crap when the State of NH ran Mt. Sunapee and some nicer gear when Okemo's owners held the lease.

Now that Vail runs it, it's HH. I'm retired, but people I used to work with who're still there are impressed with the quality.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post