SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found a shoulder patch in my dad's stuff (Army related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found a shoulder patch in my dad's stuff (Army related) Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I asked around and it looks like it was a 479th Field Artillery Brigade.

It's just like this one:

I know he was 82nd Airborne but I never heard him talk about 479th. He was in between 1964-1967 (not sure exactly) so does it make sense that he'd have been both 82nd and 479th? Or did he maybe get a patch from a friend?

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Try this link.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
From what I understand and if I am wrong someone please correct me, but when a soldier is getting closer to getting out they can get switched from unit to unit.

That is one problem that I am having finding out my dad's WWII service. He started out in the Signal Corps and ended up with the 10th Armored Division, his final campaign was Bastogne. When he mustered out in '45 his discharge papers and VA grave marker names his unit as the 953rd FA BN.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
They may have discharged them from a unit close to home?

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
They may have discharged them from a unit close to home?
We're near Pittsburgh.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
From what I understand and if I am wrong someone please correct me, but when a soldier is getting closer to getting out they can get switched from unit to unit.

That is one problem that I am having finding out my dad's WWII service. He started out in the Signal Corps and ended up with the 10th Armored Division, his final campaign was Bastogne. When he mustered out in '45 his discharge papers and VA grave marker names his unit as the 953rd FA BN.

I was in the signal corp, assigned to the 143rd Signal Battalion, 3rd Armored Division. Nothing unusual about such an assignment.

Don't know if his records may have been in that "warehouse" fire experienced by the military some years ago. But a huge number of personnel files were destroyed.

Seems strange, to me, that the military would not have some information regarding the man, his service, etc. Even if it is nothing more than the files were destroyed in that fire.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Unless your dad was in the Army Reserve it's unlikely he served with the 479 Artillery brigade. It was never part of the 82 Airborne Division. The 479 Artillery BDE was a PA based reserve unit until 1996, so it's possible he knew people in that unit and got a patch from one of them.

479 Artillery BDE history.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had soldiers from the 82nd Airborne assigned to the 42 FA Brigade in Germany. They wore the V Corp patch. Turns out anyone they could find with a high enough clearance could be assigned to our unit, an MP weapons security company.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
We had soldiers from the 82nd Airborne assigned to the 42 FA Brigade in Germany. They wore the V Corp patch. Turns out anyone they could find with a high enough clearance could be assigned to our unit, an MP weapons security company.
I imagine they have to put them somewhere between jumping out of perfectly good and not crashing airplanes.

Thanks for the info.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

The 479 Artillety BDE was a USAR unit from 1947 until 1996. For the period the OP's dad served with the 82 Airborne the only way for the two units to work together would have been at annual training for the reserve unit. When I was a reservist we had active duty Soldiers assigned as observer/controllers, and as trainers when we went to AT.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I was in the signal corp, assigned to the 143rd Signal Battalion, 3rd Armored Division. Nothing unusual about such an assignment.

Don't know if his records may have been in that "warehouse" fire experienced by the military some years ago. But a huge number of personnel files were destroyed.

Seems strange, to me, that the military would not have some information regarding the man, his service, etc. Even if it is nothing more than the files were destroyed in that fire.

Elk Hunter,

My parents requested a copy of his discharge papers in 1962. He was awarded the Driver Badge, rank listed as Tech 3. The usual Good Conduct Medal, EAME Theater ribbons. About ten years after his death the original discharge papers turned up in the basement of his brother's house in a old box. The information on both documents matched. I inquired for more information but was told that his records were destroyed in the 1973 fire.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Did he do time in the Army Reserve?

As was mentioned, that’s an Army Reserve unit patch. Was he discharged from active duty with the 82nd Airborne but had to fulfill some time via the Reserve?

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You can contact the National Personnel Records Center and request a copy of his Army records... I don't know the exact location to get the form but I requested this for my father's records and received them.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Did he do time in the Army Reserve?

As was mentioned, that’s an Army Reserve unit patch. Was he discharged from active duty with the 82nd Airborne but had to fulfill some time via the Reserve?
He most likely signed up for the reserves after enlistment discharge. Thanks for the info.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The link for NPRC is https://www.archives.gov/perso...s-center/ompf-access

There has been an ongoing mission to reconstruct as fully as possible he records that were destroyed in the 1973 fire. Many documents were salvaged, and many records were reconstructed from VA and Army pay records. There is a chance that your dad's 201 file as well as his medical records may still exist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,