SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Millions of Americans- Including Me- Own the AR-15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Millions of Americans- Including Me- Own the AR-15 Login/Join 
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted
https://www.vox.com/2016/6/20/.../ar-15-owner-orlando

"Once again, there has been a mass shooting involving a gun that looks like an AR-15. (It's technically a Sig Sauer MCX, which may or may not be an "AR-15" … more later on this definitional issue and why it actually matters beyond mere neckbeard pedantry.) And, once again, the calls have gone out to ban the "black rifle" from civilian sales. "Nobody needs one of these weapons of war" is the common refrain."

edit: This article is from 2016 but is being recirculated after the recent Florida school incident.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: brecaidra,

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
"...In this respect, the AR-15 is basically a giant Lego kit for grownups." Big Grin

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up my first today, in all my years of gun ownership.....Colt AR-15 is the one I never had much thought toward. (Actually committed to the purchase a couple months back)

Gentleman I transferred through, says that he has sold many more than usual lately.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
"...In this respect, the AR-15 is basically a giant Lego kit for grownups." Big Grin

Ah ha ha ha! Funny because it’s true.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
By Jon Stokes Jun 20, 2016, 11:00am EDT

This article is post Pulse Nightclub, yes?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I live in CA, 'nuf said. Roll Eyes

But by the end of the year . . . . Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I bought one just because they are kick ass fun to tinker with and shoot. That and the ammo can be had for a lot less that other center fire rifles. For me that is reason enough.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Just picked up my first today, in all my years of gun ownership.....Colt AR-15 is the one I never had much thought toward. (Actually committed to the purchase a couple months back)

Gentleman I transferred through, says that he has sold many more than usual lately.

So I guess that means you didn't want the AR's I offered to send you? Wink

BTW, congratulations on your 1st AR!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put an AR together to just have the experience of building a rifle. The first time I shot it I was amazed by how fun it was to shoot.

It's an excellent self defense weapon. The howls from the mob would be just as loud if they needed a means of self defense as effective as the AR-15 and it was denied them.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

So I guess that means you didn't want the AR's I offered to send you? Wink

I'm good for now, but will call if the wife adopts mine. Smile

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Think about getting a AR-15 9 MM. Lot's more fun than a 5.56. I have 2 Colts. I dare you to try one.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
Think about getting a AR-15 9 MM. Lot's more fun than a 5.56. I have 2 Colts. I dare you to try one.

DO NOT follow this advice PCCs are addicting. It's taking every bit of will I have to not buy one right now. Whatever you do DO NOT try your buddy's SBR AR-9, it will just make you sad that you don't own one (or a half dozen).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I own one because I can

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own one because I can . The other two are just to piss off the people that think I shouldn't .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I don't want to disclose anything about my AR(s)

Wife has not idea and she might find out.

Actually, I am thinking about getting another one. Just because I can, and my secret stash has enough in it.

Big problem is how to get it into the house and into the safe.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^It's black with spikey bits all over it. They all look alike, and she will never notice, if you don't have them out at the same time. Just don't buy an FDE one or a pink one and you should be fine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I own one because I can . The other two are just to piss off the people that think I shouldn't .

Exactly

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so want to get a 9mm AR.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Media guide to spotting firearms:

Barrel is longer than 8 inches = AR-15!

Barrel is shorter than 8 inches = Glock!

This concludes your firearm identification course and you are now qualified to run your yap about this stuff on TV! Yay!

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m officially an LMT dealer now and I’m FIGHTING the urge to buy one for myself. I suspect I’ll cave..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post