SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Millions of Americans- Including Me- Own the AR-15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Millions of Americans- Including Me- Own the AR-15 Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
What the leftist mental midgets don't understand is that these Evil Black Rifles are the modern rifle system of the 21st century. Technology advances occur in all sorts of industries, cars, planes, knives, houses, cookware, etc. Same with firearms. Telescoping stocks = better adjustability for body size. Pistol grips = better ergonomics. Since the beginning of time, the military has always provided the model for civilian firearms. Much like auto racing has been the design point for the evolving development of consumer cars.

Like the semi-auto handgun, semi-auto rifles, in particular the AR15, has replaced older 19th century designs, and we're the better for it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have an AR-15 just because I can. (I also have a CAR-15, for which I had to jump through hoops and spend a lot of money).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Probably not something you'd want to tell the gun grabbers lest you freak them out even more or give them more fodder, but every firearm starting from the earliest hand cannons was designed or has been used as a "weapon of war."

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The article is from 2016. When you post old news items, the publication date of such items should always be noted at the beginning.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I'm 60 years old and have lots of other firearms, I just have not previously seen the need for me to own one. They are in all of our squad cars, so I have access to one at work, and I had one issued to me when I was on the swat team, so I've used them a lot.

All that being said, a couple of months ago I started feeling this urge, just a little bit, to have my own AR. The more I thought about it the more the urge grew, I think I'm now into full blown obsession mode. I've traded for a few parts, specifically an upper and a BCG, yesterday I ordered everything else I will need to put this thing together.

Is there a support group or something for this, I'm already thinking about my next one. Big Grin

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
I'm 60 years old and have lots of other firearms, I just have not previously seen the need for me to own one.

I'd vaguely wanted an AR ever since I fired an M16 in the U.S. Army back in the early 70's, but there was always something else that took priority.

Then President Zero came along. And Fast & Furious. And all that came with that era. Suddenly an AR, or at least the planning for one, got bumped several notches up the priority list.

In mid-2014 it started innocently enough. My original intention was to simply obtain "the rifle": A stripped Mega forged lower.

By mid-2015 the rifle was built and out to the range for the first time Smile.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sort of delight in informing my ultra-libtard relatives that "I DON'T own an AR-15 because I already own a REAL BATTLE RIFLE that has bullets 3 times that diameter, far more powerful, much longer range, and fires at an even faster rate.....If I showed it to you, you would literally immediately crap your pants."

{It's an FN-FAL...OK, I exaggerate a little for humorous effect.}

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Haha...the FAL will take on some larger jobs, for certain.

I carried revolvers for years because pretty much ".357" and about the only semi-automatic around was a 1911 - and most of those weren't reliable. Spending twice as much or more for a reliable 1911 (typically meaning paying as much for gunsmithing as the pistol) than the cost of two nice revolvers and several boxes of shells just wasn't in most peoples vernacular back then.

Then the 'Wonder-Nine' craze happened and the bad guys all had them. And they were pack animals in the 80's-90's. I was forced to move to semi-automatics not to be outgunned. I carry a 1911 today as my first choice. Go figure.

The AR-15 was a natural thing to have lying around because I had humped an original in the service. Always was good with it and the master of arms was learned. The original 55 grain in a slow twist barrel was obscenely effective in taking the fight out of a bad guy in a line-of-sight shooting. Even now, with faster twist rates, it is still effective, especially with the right ammunition.

I prefer an AR-15 as a 'long arm' for home defense over a shotgun anymore, but have either handy depending on the perceived threat. Single entrant? Buckshot. Multiple entrants? AR-15.

"You're more likely to kill someone this year with your car than I am with my rifle. And I didn't see anything in the Bill of Rights about guaranteeing you a car."

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The article is from 2016. When you post old news items, the publication date of such items should always be noted at the beginning.

I will second this. I will also recommend that initiator of this thread go back to that article linked to and review it carefully. Because this particular article is full of Disinformation and Misinformation with an Anti Gun Intent.

First, our Nations Founders put the 2nd Amendment in place with the intent that Civilians be able to possess and maintain Military Grade weapons. Anyone who doubts this needs to remember that the Battles of Lexington and Concord were triggered by British troupes marching into the area with the intent of seizing a "4 pounder" (a small field Canon) that was rumored to be in the hands of the Militia in the area. The simple fact is that our Nations Founders had just experienced first hand the need for an Armed Civilian Populace in order to enable them to overthrow their government should that prove essential to maintain that populations basic Rights of Free Will.

Second, the Second Amendment was placed second on the Bill of Rights for a very simple reason. Because it is the "last Ditch" fallback should the First Amendment ever be considered a non essential Right. All these snowflakes whining about gun control need to keep in mind that if absolute gun control were ever enacted the next right to fall will be the right to object about anything our government deems necessary. It took about 10 years or so between the time when Jews in Germany were asked to give up all their firearms and when they were being marched into gas chambers.

Now for the Misinformation in that article. Lever Action rifles HAVE NEVER been a standard issue firearm for the US Military. While there were some field trials featuring lever actions during the Civil War they were simply TRIALS. BTW, Trials which determined the Henry was too fragile and underpowdered for a military grade firearm. The Spencer saw wider use and featured much more powerful ammunition but cycling the lever tended to expose the user to incoming fire. The Sharps Rifle saw the most use but that was primarily with Sniper units and while a lever action it was actually a breech loader that used the standard issue paper cartridges. Even so the Sharps was never adopted as a General Issue firearm, in part due the cost to manufacture and in part because from a prone position one could be exposed to incoming fire.

What came about after the Civil war was the Trap Door Springfield with it's top loading feature that permitted loading from the prone position. After that we had the 30-40 Krag bolt action, the 1903 Springfield bolt action, and the 1917 Enfield bolt action, which were the US Military infantry rifles until the semi automatic M1 Caliber 30 known as the Garand in 1938-1939.

Then the final anti gun icing on the cake was that short video about how fast a gun can be fired. Someone should take a look at Jerry Miculek's world records for shooting a revolver. How about a split time of less than .125 second (720 rounds per minute) and a reload in well under 1 second. If you think a revolver can't be fired at a high rate of fire think again. Semi Autos can also vary quite a bit in rate of fire, it's a feature called "lock time" and something studied very carefully by competitive shooters. There is a fellow at the range I use that is a sponsored competition shooter and he chose a modified CZ 75-B because it's "fast" lock time allows him to drive it at a .13 second split. Yeah it sounds like a burst from an UZI and he puts them into about 3 inches at 30 feet at that firing rate. So that video is filled to the brim with untruths.

PS; I have 3 "AR's" two in 223 Wylde and one in 300 BLK and all three were hand assembled from parts selected by myself. I have also never ever fired one single round of commercial 223 from either rifle, every single round fired has been assembled by myself. As for the 300 BLK, didn't have any cases to load when I finished the rifle so I did shoot 2 boxes of Remington 300 BLK with it. Some may consider the AR platform to be Legos for grownups but being an old fart I consider them to be Erector Sets for grownups. BTW, had several Erector Sets when I was a we little one and my favorite was the Crane.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
^ Scooter, I don't disagree with you, but I posted this more because I found it entertaining and not that I thought it was a good informational/educational guide.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
The more I thought about it the more the urge grew, I think I'm now into full blown obsession mode. I've traded for a few parts, specifically an upper and a BCG, yesterday I ordered everything else I will need to put this thing together.
Is there a support group or something for this, I'm already thinking about my next one. Big Grin

Of course there is.
You're reading it right now!

Get another one..get another one..get another one..get another one..get another one. Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post