SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How about your 'Claim to Lame?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about your 'Claim to Lame? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Born in California but grew up in Selma Alabama. Grandfather took me to hear George C. Wallace campaign speech from the balcony of the Hotel Albert in Selma, the first time Wallace ran for governor of Alabama. On two school trips to the State Capitol, I subsequently met and shook hands with Gov George C. Wallace.

In 1968 when George's wife Lurleen was Governor of Alabama and ill, I wrote her a get well letter. It was a big deal when I was 15yrs old, to get a form card back expressing thanks for my concern. Not sure why I've hung onto it for 52yrs though.

In 1965, my dad was a cashier at City National Bank of Selma. He took me and my brother up onto the roof of the bank to watch the Selma to Montgomery voter rights march. Saw Dr. Martin Luther King lead the protestors down Broad Street and over the Edmund Pettus Bridge going to Montgomery. It wasn't that blacks didn't have a right to vote because they did. It was just that there was a short "civics" test anyone registering to vote had to take and pass and if I remember correctly, there was also a small county fee charged for registration to vote. Many blacks were very very poor and illiterate, thus virtually eliminated from voting.

Years later, I would date one of the daughters of 1965 Sheriff Jim Clark. Jan shared some stories of those times. By the time I was dating Jan, Jim Clark and Jan's mother had divorced and Jim had moved to Texas. I met Jim Clark once when he was back in Selma to visit family. He and I didn't have much of a conversation as I was pretty much a snot nosed kid with nothing in common with him, but I did meet him.

Posts: 4708 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I sat behind Jim Les on a flight from Denver to Peoria when he was coaching at Bradley.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My wife's brother-in-law's mother dated the guy who played Most Interesting Man in the World.

He is DEFINITELY, not related, and may see this post.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I failed English as a sophomore...
...the same year I passed French. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister and her family live next to the guy who voices the AFLAC duck after they fired Gilbert Gottfried. Due to how their house is built sometimes they see him naked strolling around his bedroom when he forgets to close the shades.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom has a crock that she keeps cookin spoons in that was owned by the mother of Tom Mix.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not a brush with fame or lame, but weird. I was a party at the house of a friend and fraternity brother back in 1992 I believe. We were both slightly hammered. He showed me a "preaching" record that he had bought and that was signed by Jim Jones of the late 70s mass suicide infamy. It said something like "Jesus loves you and so do I - Jim Jones." Creeped me the heck out.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I once gave car buying advice to the current ambassador to Austria.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Worked on a Sears commercial with Bob Villa. He was a huge a-hole.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
My wife's brother-in-law's mother dated the guy who played Most Interesting Man in the World.

He is DEFINITELY, not related, and may see this post.

Now this is the stuff! A true 'Claim to Lame!'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Clint Eastwood and I are 9th cousins once removed. "Go ahead, make my day" is my ringtone.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a few years ago I toured Graceland while listening to John Stamos narrate the tour on an Ipad.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I was at a funeral and met Steve Williams ( Tigers ex Caddie) the dude is huge.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
My dad was a high school classmate & friend with Claude Jarman, Jr., who had won a special Academy Award as a child actor for his performance in "The Yearling" in 1946. Dad was also a classmate with him at Vanderbilt.
My mom went to college with Ted Cassidy at Stetson. She performed in a couple plays with him in college, and went to a dance with him. She said he went to Stetson to play basketball, but he found out he liked to act more than play basketball. She also said he was one of the truly nicest people she ever met. You might remember him as Lurch from the original Addams Family TV show of the early 1960's.
One of my younger sisters went to high school with Wynonna Judd. They graduated in the same class, and have been casual friends since high school.
All I've got for myself is sitting a row over from Bo Jackson in a Geography class (Bo knows Geography!), and playing in a couple pick-up games with Chuck Person at the Rec Center during my time at Auburn.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife met and got autographs from Lt Col Oliver North and William Shatner.

My buddy Dave Met Ted Nugent.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
One night I saw Mick Foley's wife standing by the door at Walmart looking a bit miffed, obviously trying to figure where'd got off to. As I walked past, I told her which isle I'd just seen Mick on. She looked confused, I assume wondering how I knew who she was and whom she was looking for.)

(His dad and my dad were friends, but I've never "met" Mick other than seeing him shopping once or twice. I recognized her from his book.)

We also used to see Lori Loughlin at the mall with her mom back in the day.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
While living in Puerto Rico about 20 years ago, a friend and I stopped into a small bar in a rural mountain town where he had grown up. The place was surprisingly crowded, and the center of attention was an older woman sitting a few feet from me. She was treated like a celebrity. After a couple of minutes, she started asking us questions about what we were doing in the area. She was polite enough, but I got the feeling we weren't welcome. Anyway, after we found out who she was from the bartender, we left in disgust. She was Lolita Lebron, one of the Puerto Rican terrorists who had attacked the U. S. Capitol in 1954.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I once sat on an airplane next to Eddie Murphy’s lesser known brother Charlie Murphy. I was a huge fan at the time due to the Chapelle show.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Eddie Murphy, I had 2 brushes with him.

When the movie 48 Hrs. came out, we had gone to the local 7/11 store in Uniondale NY around 2 AM on a Friday or Saturday night.

Parked next to me was a brand new red Porsche 928.
A black guy wearing a red leather outfit comes out and gets in the car.
He gives me a dirty look and pulls out.

My girlfriend at the time came out of the store gushing that the guy was Eddie Murphy. I had not recognized him.

The second time we ran into him was on a Saturday afternoon. We decided to go to Peter Luger Steakhouse in Brooklyn, NY.
The next table over from us was Eddie Murphy and his entourage.
His bodyguards were huge.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Gen. David Petraeus's mistress Paula Broadwell's Father was my High School Sociology Teacher. He was a creep.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post