SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    carbon steel pan and evoo for frying eggs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

carbon steel pan and evoo for frying eggs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I guess one thing I’m still curious about: why does it only stick with the carbon steel but not the cast iron. I do the same method but sticking only in the carbon steel pan.

I get the same thing with my deBuyer egg pan. I just use butter now and the egg or eggs swirl around the pan.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep reading about using bacon grease in their pans. I remember doing so years ago with great results.
When I did it the last few times, the oily grease seems to have particles of some sort that sticks fast to the pan. What the heck is that?
It looks like about 1/2 os millimeter of scum that needed to be scrapped off. I had to reseason one of my cast iron pans due to this.

I use butter in a dedicated cast iron pan, keeping temp below turning butter brown just for eggs. Works great. At higher temps, I used grapeseed, or corn oil. My favorite is peanut oil. it handles higher heat well. Works great with making popcorn or chicken fingers.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Had to Google EVOO. Never heard of it and I hate acronyms. I’ve Never had any luck seasoning a carbon steel pan. Just about to the point of using it for target practice.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar: I’ve Never had any luck seasoning a carbon steel pan. Just about to the point of using it for target practice.

The deBuyer pan was a pain in the ass to season, not gonna lie. I followed the instructions that came with it and it wasn't successful. Finally seasoned it how I do cast iron and now it's good.
Opposite on the Lodge carbon steel pan. Took seasoning like a champ and I had 0 problems with it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the avocado oil suggestion.

Butter and olive oil do work in tandem, but for what you are doing the avocado oil would be even better.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post