SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Office documents poll for PERSONAL/HOME computers only please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office documents poll for PERSONAL/HOME computers only please Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just an FYI:

If you don’t want to be in on this (IMO) scam of Office 365 where it’s a never-ending “subscription”, you still CAN buy a standalone one-time paid for Office package for $149 called Office Home & Student and there was a deal running last week where it was $49, I managed to get it for my parents who needed their way outdated and no longer supported Office suite updated.

In all honesty, my use case is largely for my various students. Though I think they get O365 accounts while they are at college, and Google docs via the local school district. I'm using an old one-time purchase Office for Mac. I've got six laptops in the household (two provided currently by the school district, two for college kids, one for me and one for my wife.

What I was hoping to hear, is that the software that comes with these Macs (expensive computer hardware by all accounts) was really good. I see a few people that have voted as though they rely upon it. But nobody is praising it vocally as being superb and fluid between dissimilar platforms (in the way I have noted for those using Libre).

Perhaps just sticking with Microsoft is best. I use it all day for work. Though I do nothing fancy. Oy current version for Mac is no longer updated, so i get a little nervous re: security. Certainly I have no plans to install it on my new MBP.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
You forgot to add an option for:
Why on earth would I need to use any of this for personal use?
The ONLY time I ever need to open/create any kind of office document is for work.

Admittedly, I don't use it a ton. But I do keep spreadsheet for a few hobbies that I have. In the last few months for instance, creating a training spreadsheet for a marathon to track runs to goals. Creating a Word doc with embedded pictures for a statement-of-work to a contractor, so that we are all on the same page. Little stuff like that. Nothing fancy at aall, but when you need it, you need it.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
only thing like that that I do..
I skip the spreadsheet and go right to MySQL
If I need to send picture's to somebody, they'll get a jpg as an email attachment.

Addendum:

I do IT support for work.
On occasion I get a customer who will send me pictures of whatever embedded in a word doc.
I absolutely LOATHE when they do that.
Just give me a jpg and call it good.
There's no reason to load up a clunky app like word to view a simple picture.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post