SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Traeger Timberline Smoker - Released today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Traeger Timberline Smoker - Released today Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Called the Timberline, its redesigned, triple level smoker with built in wifi connectivity and an app for monitoring smoker heat as well as meat temps.

Looks pretty good

Link

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Starting to catch up to Green Mountin Grills Cool

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Yikes. $1999.00

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Yikes. $1999.00

Fail! Way too much for what it is.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
WiFi??? And contectivity???

Part of the reason I use my smoker is to get away from that crap.

Sometimes I don't even realize I have to be to work the next day. But that's a good thing.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10557 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
triple level smoker with built in wifi connectivity and an app for monitoring smoker

...what, it uses 'special silicon chips' for smoke flavor?

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
triple level smoker with built in wifi connectivity and an app for monitoring smoker

...what, it uses 'special silicon chips' for smoke flavor?

Silicon doesn't burn as easy, so you don't get the famous Traeger feed tube fire.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
WiFi??? And contectivity???

Part of the reason I use my smoker is to get away from that crap.

Sometimes I don't even realize I have to be to work the next day. But that's a good thing.
That's the new millennial trend in smoking. The more gadgets and wires and number of devices that that can be connected to monitor all the things that don't need to be monitored the more accomplished pit master you are.

Pellet poopers are the crock pots of smoking. Turn it on and walk away but don't leave your Bluetooth range.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im a traeger fan but that one is butt ugly. I got my texas elite from a local hyve for 750 all in. I added the front shelf traeger sells for 60 bucks and use a wifi thero that is 60 bucks. Seems waay ober rpiced.

I agree with you last man standing nothing beats a true smoker and i know you make some good shit. I have the traeger as you said for convenience. Close enough for set it and forget it with the smoker/oven!

Most people never taste competition bbq. I cant even eat a bbq now.

What i got.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a Kamado Joe classic.

Best $865 I have spent in my life.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have a large Weber smoker that I like & have been using it for maybe 15 years.

Wi-Fi?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You could probably add a module with all the fancy tech features to a basic Traeger for a few hundred bucks.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Or as someone posted above, you could buy a Green Mountain Grill for a quarter of the price.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Or as someone posted above, you could buy a Green Mountain Grill for a quarter of the price.

GMG scares me. My buddy had one. The damn pelletbox caught fire and ruined a brisket. He had the lids closed too. Still have no idea what happened. There are a few other brands out there too.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REC TEC...

In my opinion, they are superior.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:

GMG scares me. My buddy had one. The damn pelletbox caught fire and ruined a brisket. He had the lids closed too. Still have no idea what happened. There are a few other brands out there too.
You say that in every Pellet grill thread and I can't imagine how this could even happen. The pellet box is outside of the grill and doesn't even get hot to the touch. The only thing that could catch on fire inside is if he never cleaned the thing and a buildup of grease occurred which isn't the fault of the grill.

For the guys wondering about the WIFI. With my GMG (I'm sure it works the same with others) there is a temp gauge inside the grill and a temp probe that goes into the meat. It sends a signal to your phone so you can easily see both temps at any time, even if you are at the store. That means you can also change the temps via your phone. Say your trip to the hardware store is taking longer than expected and your ribs are going to get done too soon you can dial back the temp away from home to buy you some time.

You can set up timer alarms or temperature alarms if you like. Say you have a pork butt or ribs that you want to pull at a certain temp. Just set the alarm to let you know when the meat is 5 degrees away from your ideal temp and your phone will let you know. You can also set up profiles for whatever you are cooking so it cooks it the same way every time. It sounds kinda complicated but its super easy with their app.

You can absolutely forget about what's going on with your grill and have no worries. If you forgot to add pellets you will get an alarm. Or say your temp drops for some odd reason you will get an alarm instead of coming home to a cold smoker.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way too expensive...I'll stick with my Grilla.

Posts: 551 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am far from a mellinial, but I definitely use a bluetooth temperature monitor. I got one with up to 4 probes, I monitor meat and dome temp. Every pitmaster out there recommends you cook your meat to temp where applicable and the bluetooth wifi ones are very popular. Mine cost $50.

that traeger looks nice, but that price is brutal.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm a Traeger fan but for that amount of money get a Yoder YS-640. I have both and the Yoder is much higher quality.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its a response to end users requests for features, I've suggested to the rep for a few years that we need a wifi not blooteef hook up to monitor the smoker and meat temps

We'd all spend $300 on a remote bt temp sensor if you bought a separate one, opening the lid to insert a quick temp lets heat escape so it's not a great idea.

I've taken off to go to the store for things while the smoker is running and come back to a cold smoker, fire out, having an alarm for that would be great.

Yeah I don't want to sit around a smoker all day feeding in bits of wood, and tending to the meat, Just want a good smoker, some automation and great bbq, Traeger I have now gives me all of that but no automation, by the time I add the automation I'd be at $1700

Not saying I'm dropping 2K on it, I'll let the market decide, plus they will be at costco in 30 to 60 days...

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post