SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Archers - Starter Recurve Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archers - Starter Recurve Suggestions Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Kiddo took a lesson at Texas Archery yesterday. I stopped by Saddle River today and I can say for sure the selection is significantly larger at Texas Archery.

Will have to return and look more closely.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good to know.
How were the instructors at TA? The SRR guys are great with kids.

Is TA more target or hunting focus?

Now that I've splurged a bit of the cash from my Lotus sale on a new watch, a bow might be next on the list.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
The instructor we had was very patient with our kiddo. She let him try several different bows, and emphasized proper form and anchor points for each. Now that he's had time to think it over he's decided he liked recurve better, so the next lesson should be more productive.

I would say they have an equal focus between target and hunting in terms of what they sell. I would go visit for sure. SRR seemed to only have mostly a single brand with a couple exceptions. Texas Archery seemed to have a bigger selection.

Once we're certain kiddo is serious about pursuing this, I'll probably take a lesson or two before jumping in and buying us both a bow.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thank for the review.
How old is your kid? Maybe we could get a group rate & double up on lessons.
Mine is 11 & had a PSE ProMax 54 that we got at SRR.

She's a little out of practice since we haven't been able to shoot much with the hot summer we've had & the move. Hoping to get a target stand built this weekend while she's off at GS Camp.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thank for the review.
How old is your kid? Maybe we could get a group rate & double up on lessons.
Mine is 11 & had a PSE ProMax 54 that we got at SRR.

She's a little out of practice since we haven't been able to shoot much with the hot summer we've had & the move. Hoping to get a target stand built this weekend while she's off at GS Camp.

He's 12. If he gets into it and continues to need lessons we can certainly look into it. We also homeschool though and may be going earlier in the day depending on Mrs's calendar.

We have also joined 4H and he will be getting some practices in there as well although demand has greatly exceeded coaches there. They had 98 new families attend the info session and safety meetings. Eek

I wanna see how his next lesson goes before diving in. Should know more next week. Wink

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
10-4

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
10-4

Check yer email sir. Smile

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
10-4

Check yer email sir. Smile

Replied

Saluki
posted Hide Post
Once you gain some familiarity around the archery range, I’d put out feelers for a good quality used bow.

There are quite literally thousands of old Bear recurves being used every day. Those are or have become collectible but reasonably priced examples are everywhere. Your problem will be finding low draw weight models. If you use target recurve as a search you’ll sort out lots of heavy hunting models, but you’ll sort out lots of bows too.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's still a learning process for me. Need to get fitted at a proper shop & find my proper size & draw weight, so I know what to look for.
A bit easier with a takedown with interchangeable limbs.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Southwest Archery Tigershark found its way under our tree.

New Question: Arrows
Mine is a 62" & my daughter's is a 54"
Can these 2 share arrows, or would a different (longer?) arrow be needed for the 62"

What's your preference for target arrows? Initially we'll be shooting in the back yard, so nothing crazy high-end needed, for now.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
An hour at the range with the new bow, took a few hits to the forearm.

Fingertips are more worn out than anything. Definitely see myself enjoying this long term.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Are you using a finger tab? If not, you may want to try one. I forgot which one I use; one of the AAE branded ones I think.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bare fingers at the moment. May look into a tab or release once I get my backyard range set up & start shooting more.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Better look for an arm guard too

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That do happen. I'd recommend the arm guard first. Good on you for going out and spending time with the kiddo. I was gifted a Samick Sage a few Christmases back and I do love it.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looked like I was shooting a shotgun & not a bow, some pretty wide groups. Was tightening up by the end & what little form I have was slipping.
Looking forward to getting my backyard target set up & shooting more.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Apart from local sources, which I have a couple nearby.
What do you guys recommend for online archery vendors?

I've been browsing Southwest Archery & Lancaster, any others to recommend?

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apart from local sources, which I have a couple nearby.
What do you guys recommend for online archery vendors?

I've been browsing Southwest Archery & Lancaster, any others to recommend?

Lancaster is definitely good and they have a huge selection.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lancaster. And they have great customer service; they stand behind their sales.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post