SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking to move to Tennessee, Suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to move to Tennessee, Suggestions? Login/Join 
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted
I'm a conservative that has been behind enemy lines for far too long. I'm approaching my retirement and am looking to find a place in Tennessee near the Knoxville area. Where should I be looking and what should I avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can suggest is to take me with you- Big Grin . My wife and I are looking to do the same thing. Unfortunately now, it is expensive in most areas, as in the rest of the country. We like Pigeon Forge area and Gatlinburg but they have some of the worst prices.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
A little more on what you are looking for. Lived north of Knoxville for 15 years or so.

There is a wide range of pretty much whatever you want - do you want to live in town, suburbs, farm, acreage, near a lake, in the mountains?

You can have any of that and be close to Knoxville.

Oh and congratulations - love Tennessee and miss it now that we are in southern VA!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Housing availability from an acquaintance who just came back from looking in Tennessee and even in Arkansas is deplorable.

Same here in western South Dakota. Home don't last on the market and new construction is way behind demand. Just within Rapid City they reported this week that they were 3500 homes short of needs.

Folks who come here wanting a house are snapping up what rentals are available to "camp in" until they can buy. The demographic that normally rents is out in the cold. It is CRAZY!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All I can say is good luck and hope you have lots and lots of money.

My wife’s aunt and uncle just sold their house in Pennsylvania and were looking to move down there to be near their son-in-law and daughter.

They found a house something like 45-60 min drive away from Nashville (where the kids are), someone bought it out from under them for $350,000 and sat on it for a month then relisted it for $450,000 after painting a few rooms. It sold in one day, I’m not even sure if they actually found a house to buy, last I heard they were going to rent somewhere for a while hoping the market calmed down.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
While the housing market in general is tough everywhere, Nashville is a long ways from Knoxville - totally different market, Nashville is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country - and was even before Covid. They have grown tremendously in past 10 years.

Klusk has a big advantage in that I assume that school district won’t matter since he is retiring.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The farther you get away from downtown, the better. West Knoxville has some nice neighborhoods if you want to be in town.

Surrounding places like Farragut and Maryville are decent options. Strawberry Plains and Powell get a bit more rural feel. Keep going east and you will really get rural.

You could buy this. Been a lot of names over the years. I still have stuff I bought from a place there 20 years ago.

https://www.kaarcie.com/listin...d-Knoxville-TN-37932

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived there for four years. Check out Townsend. 45 minute drive to Knoxville. I moved there from Chicago. It was quite the culture shock, but you get used to it.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Housing is gonna be a problem. Family member sold her run down home in Franklin NC with one acre for a little over $200k. Her husband hadn’t done any work to the home in over ten years. The house was built in the 50s and if it was me, I’d have burned it down than trying to fix it. My mom n dad sold an acre of land for 13k but most lots aren’t selling because they can’t get construction materials.

Go shopping, but have a loan or money in hand and expect you will pay top dollar

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When I see the prices that people are quoting as "high" I have to chuckle. $500K won't even buy a tear-down in the DC suburbs. If you are new home shopping, you better be able to shell out in the neighborhood of $2million to get something decent. I suspect it isn't that much different in Chicago, so Klusk probably won't be suffering much from sticker shock at prices in TN.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of airborne19822003
posted Hide Post
Look for land or homes in Polk County TN. 30 minutes to Chattanooga. 40 minutes to Knoxville.

Daniel
Cleveland, TN

Posts: 793 | Location: Cleveland, TN | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this link Www.visitkingsport.org

Posts: 60 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the eastern triangle of Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol. I love southern Indiana and never intend to leave but if I were moving I'd skip right over the bluegrass and go to Tn, either Chattanooga region or the triangle.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomsegel:
Check out this link Www.visitkingsport.org

That link won't work. Maybe this is it. https://visitkingsport.com/

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post