SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Odd--potential scam--phone message today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd--potential scam--phone message today Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Got a message from a CA area code this afternoon.

It was calling about my student loan debt.

Red flag, because I have zero debt whatsoever and never had a single cent of student loans.

The caller was a youngish woman. There was no discernible accent (Indian, Nigerian, etc.) that you'd expect from the typical scam callers. Very much a standard American accent.

So my first guess is that this is a phishing scam, but it worries me that it may be identity theft.

Thoughts? Never gotten any scam communication like this before.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thoughts? I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If someone has your identity, they are going to be gone with yer money, getting loans in yer name, or banging some broad in Vegas on your dime, before you or she discover your screwed.

Ignore them and move on, unless you are KIDBOTA. If so, have fun with them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You write for what comedian??

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
This ^^^^^

I would never have heard the pitch in the first place, as I don't answer calls from unknown numbers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
This ^^^^^

I would never have heard the pitch in the first place, as I don't answer calls from unknown numbers.

Should add that I didn't answer the call. I also don't answer unknown numbers. They left a voicemail.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
did they address you by name? Not that this would mean anything, but if they don't have your name then it was just a random call.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Should add that I didn't answer the call. I also don't answer unknown numbers. They left a voicemail.

I never pay attention to any of these shit calls. Totally ignore them, never check their voicemail, or, if I'm next to the phone, I'll pick up, press talk then immediately hang up.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I answer some of them. If it's a real person I ask them what they're wearing. Then I'll tell them I'm naked on the couch eating cheetos and that their voice is arousing me. That's usually when they hang up.

Posts: 1222 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I did not hang up. The call was dropped.

Damned TracFone...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I should have known......well, call back then....

Posts: 1222 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I still wouldn't have heard it. When voicemail's left like that it takes me all of about two heartbeats to determine it's telespam, at which point it's deleted.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I did not hang up. The call was dropped.

Damned TracFone...

I had a call dropped the other day. They wanted to buy my house and I told them 1.5 million and that they pay all costs. Somehow the connection was lost.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Received this text message today...

Hi CL Wilkins, this is Beto for Texas. Beto is running for governor to bring high-paying jobs to Texas, fully invest in our kids' schools, and make sure everyone can afford to see a doctor. Can we count on your vote for Beto in the upcoming election? STOP=opt out.

STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If someone has your identity, they are going to be gone with yer money, getting loans in yer name, or banging some broad in Vegas on your dime, before you or she discover your screwed.

Ignore them and move on, unless you are KIDBOTA. If so, have fun with them.

I've been watching all his videos recently after para posted one. I always try to screw with them, but 90% of the time when I press one to talk to them it hangs up on me, quite annoying. If you're going to call, at least talk to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post