SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got my Blue Belt in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my Blue Belt in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) ! Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
In 2018 I posted this thread: Thinking about BJJ

A year & half later and countless hours on the mat. I was awarded my Blue Belt in BJJ! There were many members that reached out and encouraged me to do it. Thanks for the encouragement. To say I'm hooked would be a huge understatement.

I've also joined the No-Gi program (CSW under Erik Paulson). I'm really enjoying that as well.

Thanks for letting me brag for a second. If you guys are thinking about BJJ go find a school and get after it. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations. Big Grin

The Erik Paul CSW is pretty cool. I trained under a guy who trained under him and frequently goes to CA for training sessions under Erik.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

That’s no easy accomplishment. Purple will come sooner than you think!

I just started doing some boxing, after a 17 year hiatus.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !!

I did JJ many years ago and really enjoyed it. We were a no-gi dojo which I generally liked better than gi training but that's a debateable topic. Smile

Had previously done 'stand up' martial arts and getting the ground / grappling exposure was highly enjoyable and eye-opening.

Keep up the good work !

btw -- how's training during the COVID situation ?

--------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

btw -- how's training during the COVID situation ?

School shut down for about 2 months. Then we opened with limited training partners. We are pretty much just open doing regular classes as this point.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

How are you handling rolling and learning new techniques during COVID? Are you trying to wear a mask?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Congratulations!

How are you handling rolling and learning new techniques during COVID? Are you trying to wear a mask?

Thanks! No just limiting training partners. So if there is a case. We can quarantine a few of us. Not having to shut down the whole school.

Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the blue belt!!
Been doing BJJ for about the same time and was just getting ready to take my blue belt test and the gym shut down and more than likely will not reopen till end of this year.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the blue belt. Going to try a couple different BJJ schools this week, trying to find the right fit for me. My goal in the next year or so is to attend a Gracie Survival Tactics LEO Instructor course.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is quite an accomplishment.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats

However, I suggest you fix your title by replacing BJJ with the actual word. Para has been pretty adamant about this recently.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Congrats

However, I suggest you fix your title by replacing BJJ with the actual word. Para has been pretty adamant about this recently.

Thanks!
Sure I'm happy to edit for clarity. Seems pretty clear already. But I'll edit for anyone not familiar.

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Nice! I trained in Krav for about 4 years, and we learned some BJJ. Was recently looking into a school, and then all this covid nonsense hit.

How's your body? Can somebody with some previous injuries train without a lot of risk? I'm a little concerned about rolling with the new guys.

The pros don't worry me at all. It's the "bros" that scare me. Guys with 3 months in that want to go full speed and show off. I don't need any more shoulder/elbow/wrist injuries.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
My goal in the next year or so is to attend a Gracie Survival Tactics LEO Instructor course.

I believe that GST should be funded and mandatory for every LEO in the country. It could save a lot of lives and a lot of grief.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
Nice! I trained in Krav for about 4 years, and we learned some BJJ. Was recently looking into a school, and then all this covid nonsense hit.

How's your body? Can somebody with some previous injuries train without a lot of risk? I'm a little concerned about rolling with the new guys.

The pros don't worry me at all. It's the "bros" that scare me. Guys with 3 months in that want to go full speed and show off. I don't need any more shoulder/elbow/wrist injuries.

I've only had super minor tweaks. As with any athletic endeavor. I've got some previous knee & elbow injuries. But I tap early. I think you also pick your training partners smartly & check your ego. If a guy has you %75 locked in. Just tap & reset. At this stage my defensive mechanisms are decent. So even the new guys that come in all rowdy I can just let them play as hard as they want. Just survive until they do something dumb. Sweep & submit.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new belt.
The journey has just begun.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That’s an awesome accomplishment. I imagine the “quit” percentage is extremely high so you should be proud.

Just curious what changes in your body did you notice from doing this for quite a while now.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the promotion! It's a fantastic journey with no shortage of twists and turns.

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post