SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got my Blue Belt in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my Blue Belt in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) ! Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Omedetou Gozaimasu!!! I have a friend who got her shodan not too long ago. This is not an easy system to make rank.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
My son started BJJ when he was wrestling in high school when he was 16 and now at 29 is a black belt doing as many competitions he can and instructing.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Congratulations! That’s an awesome accomplishment. I imagine the “quit” percentage is extremely high so you should be proud.

Just curious what changes in your body did you notice from doing this for quite a while now.

I'm already in fair shape. So not a lot. Big thing I noticed was lower back was really tight first few months. Muscles weren't used to being used the way they are in BJJ.

Biggest take away for me is getting use to moving a new way on the ground. Plus gaining sensitivity with my feet. Able to use them more like hooks / hands to move another person.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on earning your belt. Now, when can you get ready for Royce Gracie? Smile

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The door is open now... purple belt is next, so keep on rolling!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
Congratulations! The door is open now... purple belt is next, so keep on rolling!

I figure training at the pace I am. x4 hours of Gi & x2 hours of No-Gi a week. Plus rolling hours. To just hit the minimum hours it's easily x2 years off. But it's about the journey.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Many congrats on your rank, an admirable accomplishment. In my earlier years we incorporated ju-jitsu into our style, absolutely loved it. Here is one of the few remaining photos of those old memories. We had the late Dennis Palumbo do a seminar at my dojo. We incorporated his style into ours and became affiliated with his Federation.

I wish you great success on your journey. Definitely a part of mine filled with many great friends and memories. Just shy of my 15th year I had to commit more to my career and slowly moved away from the arts but will always be a part of me. Good luck.

I'm along the back wall with the black gi bottoms.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Oss! Well done. Now just don't disappear Wink

Fellow Blue Belt after 10 years of off and on training. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I think you also pick your training partners smartly & check your ego. If a guy has you %75 locked in. Just tap & reset. At this stage my defensive mechanisms are decent. So even the new guys that come in all rowdy I can just let them play as hard as they want. Just survive until they do something dumb. Sweep & submit.

Good advice. My KM partner dropped out with a back injury (not related to KM, but still sport ending).

BJJ will definitely humble your ego. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 250, and those little guys just love long arms and legs. Now, glove up, put on the shins, and we're gonna have a different outcome. But once we hit the ground my power and strength just makes me look stupid and get locked up faster.

Ego checked.

Congrats on the belt. I treasure that training time. Fun, focus, and when you learn to slip or submit somebody a light goes off "AHA!" And then you're hooked.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the blue!! Now you have a target on your back. I'm in my 11th year of BJJ and have been a brown belt for 16 months. I turned 50 last year and love every moment on the mats. Keep at it.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I am a 4 stripe white, before this Covid mess that is. Just had eye surgery, and it is going to be about 8 weeks before I can get back on the mats, get caught up, and get a blue of my own.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post