SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much cash do you carry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much cash do you carry? Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I've always been very careful about carrying cash, having dealt with a significant number of robbery victims over my 33 years in law enforcement,

I've found that those who escaped with minor or no injuries usually had these three things in common:

1) They carried somewhere between $50 and $100 in cash---never more than that amount.

2) They carried their wallets (a thin one) and cash separately---maybe in the same pocket, but never together (and never have an ATM card and cash in the same pocket)

3) If confronted by a suspect, they pulled the cash from their pocket, threw it in one direction, and ran like hell in the other direction.

I don't consider that being paranoid---just practical and careful.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Interesing thread.

It irritates the wife, but I usually carry at least $200-300 cash in my wallet, sometimes more. She says there no need, but I like to have cash with me "just in case".

I've never talked to a shrink about it, but I think growing up in straitened circumstances has something to do with it. Having cash in my pocket is my way of reassuring myself that I'm not poor anymore.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6416 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
$400-$600 typically. Currently, however, it's $25. Spent cash to buy a larger Big Green Egg locally, and need to replenish.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$40 - $50 in fives. It is only for tipping when the wife and I go out to eat. I can't remember the last time I bought anything with cash.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Almost everything I buy is put on my credit card (paid off in full every month), so I keep $50 on me at all times just in case.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
~$40 to $60 for those incredibly rare occasions when I need some filthy fiat currency to pass around.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
In my wallet I will usually carry + or - $100. I have another $50 tucked away in my EDC bag. My wife only carries a $20 in her wallet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$105.00:
4-20's
1-10
1-5
4-1's
in the main compartment, plus a fiver and a single (my "emergency" extra) folded and tucked in with the credit cards.

This amount (unless I expect to use cash for some reason) even though I use credit cards for
most purchases these days. It's a holdover from earlier times when I used more cash and that was enough to cover me most days. Always replenish when I spend any of my usual stash.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Between $30 and $50.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been told by more than a few family friends and merchants that I am the last of the cash carriers.

This carrying around nine plastic cards b.s. is a effing commie plot.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember the last time I left the house with less than $200/$300 on me.
I travel a lot and usually have at least $700/$800 on me.

It’s amazing the deals you can make offering cash instead of credit. My wife and I have been in power outages and a major snowstorm that lost power and having cash made getting what we needed effortless.

I keep around $5k at home in the safe for emergency, and during Hurricane Sandy when no one could use ATM’s I had cash… and we loaned a few neighbors cash they needed to buy food and fuel for their generators.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
$60-70 in pocket - four $1s, one or two $5s, maybe a $10, and two-three $20s. So, I have enough change to leave a cash tip in a restaurant, or pay for something small if somewhere is cash only.

Plus, two folded-up $20s in wallet with the credit cards, just in case. Actually had to spend them not too long ago cuz something was cash only, but I don't remember what right now.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carry cash folded in my front left pocket, usually around a hundred bucks.

I have a minimalist wallet that won’t hold cash.

I do this because if I’m ever mugged, I can remove the cash and toss it away from me.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around $400 plus always enough to get home no matter where we are.

If ATM’s and/or the credit card systems don’t work, I want enough to cover whatever it takes to get us home.

Also, years ago, gave the daughters money to tuck away in their purses for emergencies (not to be spent otherwise).

I was also a Boy Scout!

Posts: 29 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
“A Fistful of Dollars”, usually no more than a couple of hundred.

Replenish when I get down to $50 or so.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
... I was caught away from home a few years ago. I had been to the doctor; paid my co-pay with a credit card around 8:00 am no problem. A couple hours later I was needing to buy gas to get home and there was a "computer glitch" in the area and everything was down. I did not have enough gas to get home. You could only get buy gas with cash...I whipped out some my "emergency cash" filled up and drove home. Don't know what I would done without it because I had left my other cash at home that day and I do not carry checks in my vehicle.
As a corollary to having emergency cash, I make it a practice to keep my gas tank full and never drive anywhere when I don't have enough fuel for the round trip.

Of course some trips may be too long to make it on one tank, but that is the exception.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
... I was caught away from home a few years ago. I had been to the doctor; paid my co-pay with a credit card around 8:00 am no problem. A couple hours later I was needing to buy gas to get home and there was a "computer glitch" in the area and everything was down. I did not have enough gas to get home. You could only get buy gas with cash...I whipped out some my "emergency cash" filled up and drove home. Don't know what I would done without it because I had left my other cash at home that day and I do not carry checks in my vehicle.
As a corollary to having emergency cash, I make it a practice to keep my gas tank full and never drive anywhere when I don't have enough fuel for the round trip.

Of course some trips may be too long to make it on one tank, but that is the exception.

I do not like to have gas below half tank.. I consider that empty..

But I keep ~$200 in twenties in case CC are down..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Enough to pay for a nice dinner and a tank of gas.

Always.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"why"?

Imagine coming across a 1972 ,four inch ,new in box ,Colt Python with papers and receipt.

At a yard sale with $999.00 price tag on it,
FIRM.

That's why.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep. I carry about $1k at all times

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post