SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New (pre owned) Laptop how to configure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (pre owned) Laptop how to configure Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
We got a laptop from wife company for the daughter, it's a good unit, they upgraded hardware, it's a Win10 unit with Win10 and 365.

Problem is the old user (former employee) is still listed as the login name, with the option of other user. Other than getting the company IT group to unlock it, is there a way to get in and change user data so we can use it without having to reformat the drive and install Win10.

If I have to blow the drive away and reinstall, whats the best alternative, download the Windows install from the net, USB it and boot from USB?

Linux isn't an option.

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Reset the password with a Hirens boot CD?

https://www.top-password.com/k...h-hirens-bootcd.html

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
There's also software that can extract the software key, assuming you're able to log in & install applications.

I'd think you could then get the full windows key, then reinstall.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you just need to change the default user to the new person.

Win 10 uses the last person to log in as the default user. The how-to on how to redo this is:

https://thegeekpage.com/change...ult-user-at-startup/

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Reset the password with a Hirens boot CD?

https://www.top-password.com/k...h-hirens-bootcd.html

That looks to be the solution, will give it a try

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Once you get to the local administrator logon you can do whatever you want.
IF you can get the PW for the local admin or if the user is already (which may or may not be) a local admin then you can copy whatever data you have off.
Then create a new profile (user) and delete the old profile.
If you don't have or can't get the administrative rights you can still copy off the data within the logged in profile.
If you can get in at all the only option is to reset the PWD as mentioned above or to reformat/install but the latter all your data goes with it.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My understanding is NO. the original installer is the name. Mine says Mark. (I'm Johnny)
The welcome screen says Johnny.
Can't be removed without wiping the whole pc and starting from scratch.

I got mine from a guy that makes/fixes them.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think this is what I used to use: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

It requires you be able to boot from CD or USB stick. It allows you to null-out passwords in the registry.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like I said before the key is to get local administrative rights.
1. Create a new user.
2. Make that user the admin.
3. Log into the the new user/admin.
4. Delete the old user or other user profiles.

If this is a Domain joined computer then you should call the IT guys or take it to them to leave the domain.

I use Microsoft DaRT for recovery/locksmith/etc but that software is not easily obtainable, Hirens I used successfully among some other utilities but why not just talk to the IT guys where you got the unit?

Also the if you want to use the O365 that might be trickier as it is tied to a specific account.
That you might not be able to retain if it is all online.
If it is on premise Office then that should be no problem.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Couldn't login to create any user accounts without a password, so used Hirens, it didn't come up with the dos based commands, has a GUI windows 10 interface, once I figured out where they had put the controls to change passwords I was able to change the admin password and access the PC.

Now it' cleaning up the corporate stuff, disconnecting from the corporate servers and seeing what works. No problem getting rid of everything, we asked IT and two weeks later nothing, so I had them bring it home, been awhile since I messed with this stuff, last option was to nuke and pave and install Win10 fresh.

So far seem to be getting it done...

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, if this is to be 'your' personal laptop, I'd probably opt to completely nuke the primary drive and do a fresh install of Windows on it. That process obviously also gets rid of any other bits and pieces hanging around you may neither want or need.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just do a clean install of Windows 10. All you need is a 32 GB USB drive.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post