SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Painting Over Anodized Aluminum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Over Anodized Aluminum Login/Join 
posted
I have a trigger I picked up in a trade. It's red anodized aluminum and I dont like the color. What's the best way to either strip the red color or paint it? I really dont care if it turns out black or gray..hell even bare aluminum color, just not red. What's your thoughts ?

Posts: 756 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The Anodizing crust creates a hardened outer layer for the aluminum. Removing it will weaken the part significantly.

I’m sure a quick search of YouTube or same can show you someone successfully coating anodized aluminum maybe with something like Ceracoat or some such…

Be careful of changing tolerances

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^This is correct. I would ask CCR what you can do.

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think a can of Krylon would work for a year or two depending on how much you shoot. Works for most snipers.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would lightly sand blast then Cerakote.
But having all the necessary to do may not be available.
As alternative I might use a proper Dremmel abrasive to just strip the visible area.
Using anything less than Cerakote IMO wouldn't hold up long term.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thinking outside the box here. What about electrical heat shrink tube? I’ve considered it for my echo triggers.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
sell it in classifieds, buy one in the color you like, net of all the material and time costs to recolor the thing, probably break even.

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its trivial. Do it all the time. To make it last you will need a decent primer, but you might not care.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Trigger for what platform?

I'd use some Brownells paint or Aervoe and do a light bake or let it hang a week before handling for air cure.

But cerakote will last a lot longer (it's just expoxy paint, which is what CCR will tell you). CCR can shoot it with some Cerahide or the other stuff they use

Posts: 3090 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
sell it in classifieds, buy one in the color you like, net of all the material and time costs to recolor the thing, probably break even.

This is the right answer. What you are talking about will be unsatisfactory, look like crap. Someday when you sell the gun, you'll loose much more than the price of the correct part.
Sell the one you have, buy the one you want.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post