SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Detail Your Vehicles? How About the Engine Bay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Detail Your Vehicles? How About the Engine Bay? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't care much for pressure washing engine bays. There are too many electronic components and nooks and crannies in the engine itself for water to get into and cause problems later. Sometimes the problem, if any, is not apparent for several days. If you do, use a low setting and be careful.

Posts: 28693 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Although only a little over 35k on the clock for this 2003 S2000, as a summer driver I don't think that's all that bad. It gets a good claybar and waxing routinely. But the engine bay has remained pretty clean on its own. A simple wipe down every so often is all it has had. No doubt because it is rarely, if ever, driven on dusty or wet roads. Much prefer the top down and sunny rides. Smile

The red circle identifies Mount Rushmore in the background.

Very nice. One of the very few things I miss about our time spent living in Gillette, WY is the weekends we spent exploring the Black Hills.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Are you serious? Smile And this is only 'kinda' detailed. Not bad though for a 17 year old daily driver pickup truck with 140k miles on it. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Oh, Hell no.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes of course

its part of the car

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53853 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Detail the engine bay? Are you driving around with your hood up?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Detail the engine bay? Are you driving around with your hood up?
Wipe after doing your business? Are you walking around with your pants down? Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No and no. I drive miles on dirt roads every day. It would be an interminable job.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Other than cleaning it for functionality I've never bothered with it. Hood up car meets are like a dentist drill to me.

I hear ya. Where I live, every event is really just a "car show" in disguise. I bought a "mud colored" Subaru and wash it once a year at the touchless car wash after winter. My wife thoroughly cleans the inside for me on my birthday.

It won't be worth a penny less on it's last day with me. And I'll have an extra day or so of life lived on my last day.

What color is that? People ask me often enough. I tell em. "Mud". It's less shiny now of course.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I don't ever clean the engine bay, although I'll wipe down the visible black plastic items. I have been known to wash and wax my wheels when I rotate them after an oil change...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do my own.

For the engine bay, I start the car and run it for a few minutes then shut it off. Spray everything with simple green. Wait a few minutes then use warm/hot water to hose it all off.

Posts: 1418 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

I have adult OCD and detailing, especially the engine bay is almost therapeutic to me....Taking things that are super dirty, messy, etc, is relaxing to me.

Same here.

I try to get to each of my vehicles at least once a year for the total treatment. The motorcycle more often. I do engine bays once a year, it takes me about half a day. My truck's engine bay looks better than when it arrived from the factory.

One trick for those who care... I use corrosionX on all rubber/plastic components. I've found it to work a bit better than 303 in deterring the dust cling. Either way the key is to let it soak in for several hours and then wipe it dry. If possible wipe it dry again in 24 hours. It leaves these components looking better than new, and extends their life.

I used to crawl under my truck and polish the exhaust all the way back also...but that hurts my back too much now and I haven't installed stainless exhaust on my new truck yet. Soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Are you serious? Smile And this is only 'kinda' detailed. Not bad though for a 17 year old daily driver pickup truck with 140k miles on it. Smile

Impressive right there. That takes the cake for the whole thread.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I usually wash and wax mine whenever we need rain. When I'm finished, I leave it outside the garage on purpose Smile
I've always said that works much better than cloud seeding or a rain dance. Wink

Posts: 7410 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post