SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Detail Your Vehicles? How About the Engine Bay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Detail Your Vehicles? How About the Engine Bay? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Here's a good video on how to make your engine bay sparkling clean - if you show your vehicle, you'll have the hood up...

http://boingboing.net/2017/07/...ean-your-vehicl.html

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I hate taking the time to detail the engine bay far too tedious. Local detailer charges $50.
For the sake of my time I'll gladly hand over a Grant so I don't have to fool with it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25704 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Other than cleaning it for functionality I've never bothered with it. Hood up car meets are like a dentist drill to me. The fun of owning a car is thrashing it through corners and driving it compared to parking lot meets. Wash and wax is about all I do. I do focus on unsprung weight and suspension though Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I hate taking the time to detail the engine bay far too tedious. Local detailer charges $50.
For the sake of my time I'll gladly hand over a Grant so I don't have to fool with it.

I have adult OCD and detailing, especially the engine bay is almost therapeutic to me....Taking things that are super dirty, messy, etc, is relaxing to me.

That said, I find Chris Fixx to be a little douchey for my taste and like the Chemical Guys videos a lot more

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put my car through the automated car wash every couple of years. Does that count?

Big Grin

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I put my car through the automated car wash every couple of years. Big Grin

Whether it needs it or not, right?

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a salty environment, once a year I spray the engine compartment down with gunk engine brute and spray it down.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but do you take the time to polish your wheels?? Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:

At the moment just spray them with simple green and hose them off.
I highly dislike chrome wheels so not much polishing will be done if I get around to putting new wheels on the Sienna. They may have a polished lip to keep clean so maybe in the future.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25704 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to spray the engine compartment of my police car with simple green and then hoose it off...the guys at the garage loved me.

It's the little things

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done it to my Jeep and it always brings great satisfaction..... for the week it stays looking good. The engine bay on my wife in my wife's Dodge Dart is damn near sealed all the way around and it stays clean for the most part.

I used ballistol on her engine and it turned out great.

Posts: 553 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the direct link to youtube for people who don't know what boingboing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Just powerwash the engine bay real quickie before it gets too nasty. Doesn't take long and it looks damn good for a while.

Me and a good buddie autocross every few weeks, he is more OCD than anyone you will meet about keeping the car pristine.

And lets face it, working on a filthy car BLOWS.

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I highly dislike chrome wheels so not much polishing will be done if I get around to putting new wheels on the Sienna. They may have a polished lip to keep clean so maybe in the future.

Orguss keeps talking about your attractive wheels. I have not had the pleasure of viewing them. Can you post a photo please?

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to wash it at least once a year if it needs it or not.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:

I love Simple Green and have used it for a couple of decades. But on some wheel finishes it will do damage.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1311 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I hand wash mine in my Mustang with a bucket, surgical towels and car soap purty often so it stays clean. My station wagon and pick up, not so often.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is this washing of cars you speak of?

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I usually wash and wax mine whenever we need rain. When I'm finished, I leave it outside the garage on purpose Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Although only a little over 35k on the clock for this 2003 S2000, as a summer driver I don't think that's all that bad. It gets a good claybar and waxing routinely. But the engine bay has remained pretty clean on its own. A simple wipe down every so often is all it has had. No doubt because it is rarely, if ever, driven on dusty or wet roads. Much prefer the top down and sunny rides. Smile

The red circle identifies Mount Rushmore in the background.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post