SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for our aviation guys
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for our aviation guys Login/Join 
posted
Why is the military closing down the highway in Michigan to launch their planes. I get back in the day the highway system was a backup if our airports got bombed but this has never happened before so why now.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w...AF7ny5lwmkYEh-Nx52vA

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Training exercise as a drill to prove it can be done, and to train for using the procedures if necessary.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Practice makes perfect.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a training exercise.

The US isn't the only potential battle ground.

Good airports are not an assurance in a foreign theater, especially at the outset.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Good airports are not an assurance in a foreign theater, especially at the outset.
I get all that but why now after 60 years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

A real-deal amphibious assault hasn't been done since the Falklands in '82, and on a larger scale since Incheon '50 but, it's still practiced and planned for.

Air power is a major part of warfare, knocking-out established air bases and supporting infrastructure will be amongst the first areas targeted, if not sabotaged before things kick-off. Somebody at the Michigan Nat'l Guard (remember the Guard gets folded back in to DoD for deployments) is dusting off some Cold War-era plans, making sure such familiarity and practices aren't completely foreign to its members. The A-10 was designed to operate in austere and ad hoc conditions, look at how wide its landing gear is, its made for this.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What makes you think this is the first time in 60 years?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What makes you think this is the first time in 60 years?
I probably shouldn't have said the first time in 60 years. The article says the first time in history that anyone can remember a highway being shut down to do an exercise like this. I'm 55 and I know I've never heard of the military doing this at all much less in a populated area.

posted Hide Post
When I was in the USAF, we would from time to time would do an exercise in which we had to set up a runway and support facilities from nothing. IIRC, the goal was to have it operational in 24 hours. This A-10 exercise is similar.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
When I was in the USAF, we would from time to time would do an exercise in which we had to set up a runway and support facilities from nothing. IIRC, the goal was to have it operational in 24 hours. This A-10 exercise is similar.

Yep, we did the same a few times a year. You weren’t in a Combat Comm group were you?

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Security Police. A certain number of us in the SP Squadron were "mobility designated". Those who were had to go out on the bare base operation. And Combat Comm was the first unit on the ground for this type of thing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Flying Harriers we regularly practiced landing and taking off from 2-lane roads. We’d refuel and rearm on metal matting in the woods while watching cars drive by on the road we just landed on.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6730 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Practice, for landing on Chinese highways after all their airstrips have been eliminated..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There are rumors of an upgraded A-10 coming, and of course the usual talk about extending its life. This was always part of the A-10's capability, perhaps it was just finally time to test it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Swedes have been practicing this for years, hiding their Viggens and Gripens out in the woods close to a road suitable for using as an airstrip. They use a road with a mobile refueling/rearming crew set up, get refilled then back in the air.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like practice of close ground support for the suppression of domestic extremists. Just kidding of course.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Every couple of months I get an email from the FAA that the military is doing an exercise where they will be blocking the GPS signals.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get them almost daily, and in the Western US, its not uncommon at all to find GPS degraded somewhere at any given time.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
If you've ever been to Nebraska, you will know what I speak of.

There is a stretch of I-80 south of Lincoln that runs straight as an arrow for a long distance.

There is a persistent rumor that it was stressed for bomber ops since Lincoln hosted a bunch of SAC bombers for a long period.

Never verified by the USAF.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post