SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody notice that TV in general right now has become "Marvel Nation"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody notice that TV in general right now has become "Marvel Nation" Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, I just can't get excited about any of these comic book movies. Not a single one. They are wildly popular though. Hey, whatever blows your skirt up!

I've watched a few to see what all the furor was about. They're ridiculous. Man-children going to watch men in tights with terrible acting being propped up by special effects.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about TV but when it comes to movies I don't know what Hollywood is going to do when they run out of comic book heroes. My wife and I quit going to the movies years ago. There is no imagination left in these people. At 70 years old I really don't care about the latest Batman or Star Wars movie. I realize there certainly is a market for them but we really aren't interested. Really miss the quality films like Cool Hand Luke , The Godfather, Clints westerns. Great stories and adventures. Oh well.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's because of the new Avengers movie hitting the theaters right now.

I noticed that too, this past weekend there were like 4 or 5 Marvel movies on the various networks.

I've seen like 3-4 out of 21 and could care less, they just don't interest me. I don't get this obsession with comic-book-super-hero-everything these days. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
wow bunch of haters.. I have very few escapes left from reality. Just let me have this with out trying to shame me!!

I'm with You. It's FANTASY...Escapist cinema.

I'm looking forward to the new Godzilla movie I believe in May. Last visit to a theatre was to see the LAST Godzilla offering.

It's visual comic books.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
After watching the last movie I realized I need to watch some of the older ones again. Pretty sure I got a lot of good naps in on a few of them. I recall nothing of that Ultron movie. Hope to catchup for free if I can stay awake through them.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, this thread wasn't really a bitch about Marvel movies in general, or even the new movie, but rather a recognition that the TV dial was absolutely covered, many times back to back, with nothing but Marvel movies all weekend. I'm not a Marvel movie hater or anything, but I would like a bit of variety during those few times I do have available to sit down and watch TV.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Marvel can kiss my ass.

When you have stars that constantly bash and lie about Trump and his voters, when you have one star (Captain America) stating his utter contempt for those who voted for Trump, including his fans, when a stable full of actors from the franchise have the same attitude, I say to Marvel fuck you.

You despise me? Not a penny from me.

It is not a matter of "difference of political opinion", it is a stance of hating my kind, and wanting me to disappear. And now that Stan Lee is dead, they will take the movies into more P.C. territory.

I have never liked Marvel movies anyways, only watched the first Iron Man and some of the Captain Moron movie. They can't touch the Chris Nolan Dark Knight films, the only comic book films that interest me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you anything about it. Let's see. I'm gonna name some of the Avengers.

You got Dub, Cooter, Lem, The Human Screwdriver and the guy everybody just calls Pete.

How'd I do? Aced it, right?

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just to clarify, this thread wasn't really a bitch about Marvel movies in general, or even the new movie, but rather a recognition that the TV dial was absolutely covered, many times back to back, with nothing but Marvel movies all weekend. I'm not a Marvel movie hater or anything, but I would like a bit of variety during those few times I do have available to sit down and watch TV.

Do you even propaganda, brah?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I don’t get it, but people probably think I’m weird for watching people fish on YouTube.

Fishing with Luiza is some top class, bad ass anglin’.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'll watch any Marvel movie before I watch any sports game. I don't watch TV, so I don't know much about who hates me who's acting in the films.

Other than Instagram and gun forums, I'm not on social media. I kind of like it that way. It keeps me from hating everyone I work with, I'm related to and every movie I watch. Although some actors step way out of their way to offend me, so there's that list.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Do you even propaganda, brah?
Huh???

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...The Skeeter, Mango the Screeching Macaque, Brad the Barcalounger and the Fanatical Ferret...

posted Hide Post
I've liked the first movie in a given franchise but feel that the sequels are much, much weaker.

It's very rare for a director or a franchise to get better over time. Think Sergio Leone's work (A Fist Full of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More and the masterpiece; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly).

Sergio Leone was a good example of someone who got better over time. You don't see that much anymore.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned Disney owns Marvel.

What hasn't been mentioned is that Disney also owns or at least owns 50% of the following TV networks:
  • ABC, ABC News
  • Disney Channels (about 6)
  • FX Networks (about 4)
  • ESPN (15+ Channels)
  • A&E (at least 3 channels)
  • Lifetime (at least 3 channels)
  • Vice
  • History (about 4)

Through their streaming media division, Disney owns 60% of Hulu

In other words, it's pretty easy to get Marvel on people's TV sets via satellite, cable, or streaming when you control that many TV channels.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fire begets Fire
    Picture of SIGnified
    posted Hide Post
    I don’t understand television anymore. I pay Comcast almost $200 a month to watch advertisements. I do DVR most material so I can skip the commercials but still the content is sorely lacking.

Screw that shit. I’ve moved over to YouTube and Prime Video. Much better content, topics that go deep instead of news it’s only foot wide and an inch deep, meant to get you angry excited and hyperbolic. That’s just noise I don’t need anymore.

Online viewing with rich content is so much more rewarding. Screw television.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
    ~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    ...Mangina, Flamer err Flame-O and "It's Ma'am" Man...