SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody notice that TV in general right now has become "Marvel Nation"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody notice that TV in general right now has become "Marvel Nation" Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I spun through the tuning guide a couple times today looking for something to watch on TV. All I seemed to find over and over again all across the dial was re-runs of Marvel movies. I know the new Marvel Avengers movie came out this weekend, but does that mean we have to completely dedicate TV to it as well for days? Some of us would actually like to find something new or worthwhile to watch.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Yup I noticed the same thing. That's why I keep multiple episodes of The Rifleman saved on the DVR Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Marvel movies have spun a story across ten years and 21 movies. For the most part, they all tie into this one in a direct fashion. Showing them on television is the best way to bring people up to speed on things they might have forgotten. It happens with every sequel, though the large number of movies in the MCU makes it more noticeable. Just give it a couple more weeks and you’ll be back to your usual, boring television programs.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wow, I haven't really watched anything on TV in about 10 years. Nothing. I can't name a single show that's not a re-run.

It's all streaming for me.

The last time we watched traditional TV, it was an episode of "Big Brother" and the contestants were so nasty to one another that we decided to call it quits forever on traditional TV. That was about 10 years ago.

I wonder what the outlook is for traditional TV. It can't be good.

Oh wait, we did watch a tiny bit of the Olympics to see Shaun White's performance, but that's it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Well when you can make $157 million on a Friday, your going to try to make more, right?

Box Office: 'Avengers: Endgame' Superhero Fatigues To Record $157 Million Friday

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
They are the new westerns...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I can’t belive that grown ass men watch comic book movies. Especially when the lead actors talk shit about white men.

I have seen none of the Marvel movies, & never will. Fuck Hollywood.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
I can’t belive that grown ass men watch comic book movies. Especially when the lead actors talk shit about white men.

I have seen none of the Marvel movies, & never will. Fuck Hollywood.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yooper movie theater has a huge parking lot.
Yesterday it was completely full, to the point where people were parking on the lawn and out in the street.
For a superhero movie. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I watched Marvel: Agents of SHIT once.

The first time I wasted an hour on that crap, I had an excuse...

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Some staff at the YMCA are wearing red capes . . . part of their fundraising garb.

As long as my gastroenterologist does not try any superhuman techniques during my next colonoscopy, I can deal with this craze sweeping the nation. Far more tolerable than Beanie Babies. Or . . .

Dale a tu cuerpo alegría Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegría why cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo alegría, Macarena
Hey Macarena…

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I just can't get excited about any of these comic book movies. Not a single one. They are wildly popular though. Hey, whatever blows your skirt up!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid in the 40's I had and read bunches of the Marvel comic books (should've saved them), and have watched a few of these movies and concider them nothing more than todays "adult cartoons".

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
.......Or . . .

Dale a tu cuerpo alegría Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegría why cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo alegría, Macarena
Hey Macarena…

Damn. Thanks. I just got Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass un-stuck from my head..... No idea how it got there either.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
you have to wonder why so many grown men are fascinated with other grown men in colored tights. I’m sure I’ll hear all about it at work tomorrow as several of them booked their tickets for opening weekend months in advance. Asking me if I had bought tickets. Nah, I just spent a small fortune upgrading my HT so I can NOT go to a theater anymore. I’ll watch it in 90 days when it’s on 4K disc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
wow bunch of haters.. I have very few escapes left from reality. Just let me have this with out trying to shame me!!

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I don’t get it, but people probably think I’m weird for watching people fish on YouTube.

Posts: 9967 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Went to McDonald’s for lunch the other day. Looked up at the menu… And all the TV screen menus flipped over to an avengers commercial they must’ve ran for 45 seconds. So here I am trying to order food, trying to look at the menu, and all I see is a damn avengers advertisement.

So I stood there in line, Staring at the menu, waiting for the actual menus to pop back up.

And I don’t get the comic book nonsense either… Grown ass men watching comic book fantasies. Shake my damn head .

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You have to remember that Disney owns the Marvel franchise... at least the Avengers part of it. Of course you are going to be bombarded with any and all forms of advertisement and product placement. It seems to have paid off too- nearly $1.3 billion globally so far.

And for the haters- it’s a movie. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take your word. I seldom watch tv, and when I do I DVR and zip thru the commercials.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post