SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you own a recent Hyundai Sonata Sport - please step inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you own a recent Hyundai Sonata Sport - please step inside Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
There is a current recall for this vehicle. A software update needs to be completed and it’s purpose is to save your engine.

The problem is that a harness that affects engine performance may need to be replaced and if you ignore it, it could destroy your engine.

The software update is designed to detect a potential problem with the harness, if such a problem is detected, your engine light will begin to flash and the computer will put it into ‘safe mode’.

You will not be able to exceed 1500 RPM’s or 50 MPH. It happened to me yesterday, and by the time I got it to the dealer I could not exceed 25 MPH.

The dealer gave me a loaner at no charge, but parts are backordered for at least 3 weeks.

If you’ve got this car, I highly highly recommend you check into this. These are our fleet cars, and out of 25 in the field, 6 have had it happen already. All of ours are 2018 models and all seem to go south around 19k miles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I bought my 2018 Sonata with 15 miles on it, but six months later got the recall notice in the mail.

I took it into the stealership and they made the repair, changed my oil, and gave it a wash, all in an hour and fifteen minutes. The whole service costed me nothing.

No problems before or since.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Good to know I received the recall, but didn’t sweat it much. I’ll address this ASAP.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

Just curious: do you know why your company decided to go with Hyundai for your fleet?

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Just the Sport? Any range of years?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Ronin,

Just curious: do you know why your company decided to go with Hyundai for your fleet?

I don't. We've been Nissan Maxima for years, which was fine for me. The Sports are nicer, with sun roofs, and more gadgets.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 and a 2015 Sonata. The 2013 has twice been in for that recall and the 2015 once so far. I don't trust Hyundai. The first time they looked at the oil and said everything was good. Really? In a half hour your mechanic was able to change and analyze the oil and determine the engine didn't need replacing. Then recall it again to do software upgrades that will let you know the engine is going bad.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post