SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations For Indian Dishes For Wife Who Dislikes Curry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations For Indian Dishes For Wife Who Dislikes Curry? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I'd offer suggestions, but I got naan.

Bon mot!

I also recommend Palak Paneer aka Saag Paneer. And do try to develop your own recipes to cook at home. You will control the spices and heat so that you can find the right combo of both.

Have a first go with Samosas made with puff pastry dough.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Vindaloo is tasty stuff too!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
In my experience, most people who don't like curry actually don't like the smell. And the smell is one of the great things about an Indian restaurant.

My wife, flying out to see friends in Australia, actually changed airlines at the Kuala Lumpur stopover, because of the atmosphere of the Singapore Airlines airplane she was travelling in.

She is VERY averse to the accompanying odours of Indian food of any kind.

tac

Posts: 11336 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I could opine here, but, most Indian food have the basic combination of cumin, coriander and chili powder in them. Of course, amounts of the spices may vary. I wonder what it is about Indian food that your wife dislikes. If you could figure that out, then we can give you some suggestions.

On another note, if you guys are interested in cooking authentic Indian recipies, check out this cookbook, which is available on Amazon or your local book store. Costs about $20.00, and it is authored by a friend of mine, Raghavan Iyer. He is a trained Chef, and his book is titled, "660 Curries". I would highly recommend it.

And I think I will make another post with about 4 of the recipies that I cook regularly that the lady who was the Food Columnist for the local newspaper published a few years back, before the newspaper went under.Smile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Dahl

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of Dal do you like, Skull Leader? I cookMasoor Dal (Red Lentils) most frequently. Otherwise, I cook Urad Dal( dont the correct English name) , and Toor Dal( again, dont know what you would call it in English), and Chana Dal( Yellow Split Peas). Dal is a staple for most Indian people regardless of what part of India they are from.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This is all I know about Indian dishes. Feel free to offer them to your wife. Smile

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusbro- you got the wrong kind of indian!!!!SmileSmileSmile
You need my kind of Indian, the kind that is darker skinned, has greasy hair,has a 1970s moustache, and is known to eat spicy food!!!SmileSmile

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I just had Indian food for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had Tandoori Chicken w/jasmine rice and Shrimp Pakora, and assorted Naan. It was all very delicious.

I will be going back again and trying more. Smile

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kx90- Indian food is pretty easy to cook you should try it.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@Sidss1

I've made just a plain dal, dahl a couple of times now. I can only get the white lentils here where I am and add turmeric, cumin, onions and cilantro. There might have been some ginger in there too.

First had it in Fiji and love it.

I'd love to try one of your recipes if you would provide one. Which ever one you'd think I would enjoy.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skull Leader- look for the thread I started right after I responded to your initial post. There is a Lentil soup recipe there. And I see your email, and I will email you after work today.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
kx90- Indian food is pretty easy to cook you should try it.
The GF really wants to make chicken tikka masala. I'm going to have her look at your other recipes too Smile

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post