SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone had luck moving an adhesive disc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone had luck moving an adhesive disc Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I have a new phone mount. I liked my old one but it is broken. I had it on the car door in front of the door handle. I replaced it with a seemingly nicer dash mount. When I placed the disc on the dash I didn't take into consideration the height of the suction cup and simply placed it in the center. The suction cup bucks a bit of the radio display which is also the back up camera display. It's only the corner but it is distracting.

Can I move the adhesive disc? Any tips?. I just want to move it over to the right a couple of inches.

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
If it's a 3M product you'll need to "cut" it off with something like dental floss or fishing line, then use an adhesive remover (test to ensure it doesn't mess your finish). Then clean off the disk and replace the adhesive. Again, if it's 3M you can get replacement adhesive pads.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
M-11 beat me to it. I went looking for this YouTube video of the same solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bOM8IJOfI

It worked for me. I used mineral spirits to carefully remove the stuck adhesive.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I remove the 3m VHB tape all the time with the gentle application of heat from a hair dryer and dental floss. I just "roll" the left over adhesive off of the surface with my finger tips and heat.

Posts: 13052 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
VHB tape will peel off if you get an end started, and pull horizontally at a low angle.

You can also use WD40 to weaken the adhesive.

Plastic putty knives also work well.

You can clean up whats left with rubbing alcohol.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7091 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post