SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Repairing cracks in cinder block mortar.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing cracks in cinder block mortar. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Should I use mortar or the caulk style stuff to fix this?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do you want to do it the easy way, or do it the right way?

The easy way to do it is to patch it with some masonry caulking. This doesn't do much for the structural integrity, and it can sometimes be hard to match the color, thus making the repaired area stand out cosmetically.

The right way to do it, to both make it look better and repair its structural integrity, is to scrape/chisel/grind out the outer inch or so of the cracked mortar areas and reapply mortar to these joints. This is called tuck-pointing or repointing.

And if you haven't already, you'll want to try to determine why it cracked. Some cracking from settling can be normal, but it can also be the hallmark of a bigger foundation issue.

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Additional information, I'm painting, so matching won't matter as much as final looks after paint.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
For some reason I can't zoom in on your pic. What I am looking for is to see if they are just hairline cracks or if the cinder blocks have pulled away from the mortar joint.

As long as you don't have a structural issue, or if there is not water infiltration if your pic is inside your basement, you could get away with caulking.

If structural or if water is a problem, grind out to a depth at least 1" and follow the crack lines joints as a guide. Mix up a batch of mortar, make the grind line wet, and press in the new mortar.

Then you use a joining tool to make the mortar smooth to match the surrounding joints. Use a small sprayer and spray the finished joint a few times a day (the longer you keep the joint moist the "harder" the mortar becomes). Wait a few days and then paint.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sorry for bad pics. The cracks are small, they look larger from the paint failing on top of the cracking.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
No problem...I bet if I was logged in using my phone I could have zoomed in but I am at work on my desktop computer.

That type of cracking is considered normal and routine. I don't see signs for bad settling. Hence you could just scrap off the old paint around the crack, seal with caulk, and repaint.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're going the caulk route, ensure that the caulk you choose is paintable.

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Bought the caulk, don't think it's going to work. Says 3/8" max gap. Some are almost half inch, if not over 1/2".

Here's what I'm looking at cleaned out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Repointing is not difficult or all that challenging. It's just more effort than squeezing out some caulk. Lots of Youtube videos on how to do it.

The most time-intensive part is chiseling out all the cracked mortar. It can go faster if you have access to an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Has one end of your structure settled?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
If there is occupied space on the opposite side of this wall, have it ground out and patched by a mason. The threat of mold is real.

If this is a garage or non conditioned space use Sika Mortar fix. Go to there website and read the product data.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
If there is occupied space on the opposite side of this wall, have it ground out and patched by a mason. The threat of mold is real.

If this is a garage or non conditioned space use Sika Mortar fix. Go to there website and read the product data.

Wait, what? Have all of it ground out? I removed all the areas that had any cracks. There would be no benefit to removing mortar everywhere. Just want it to look decent after paint. Given the condition of block currently it will never be perfect. I just want it to look good for 5-10 years.

I have looked at the Sika product you mentioned. For now I am going to buy that or similar so that the contractor can pressure wash to remove the bulk of failed paint/cracks without intrusion through the poor mortar joints. Then will reevaluate how to deal with the rest of the failing paint/cracks.

I really want to if not for cost just parget it and cover the original crappy workmanship.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Given your goals, just use the specialized caulk and paint thereafter

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Buy one bag Type S mortar and a bag of brown sand. Do not get yellow sand. Buy a round jointer.

Hose out the joints you made.
Mix 2 parts sand and one part Type S. Add water for a almost stiff consistency. The joints need to be damp then using a trowel pack in the mortar with the round jointer.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Caulk like Big Stretch will work but I would use mortar.
It will look much better, IMO.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post