SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Witnessed Trump rage at the beach yesterday and I am now questioning whether to carry at the beach
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Witnessed Trump rage at the beach yesterday and I am now questioning whether to carry at the beach Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday my wife and oldest daughter headed out to Butler beach in St. Augustine. This is a beach you can drive on (which is great).

The beach faces east and the driving is north to south. We park, walk across the drive area, set up on the beach, and are having a great day.

About 4:30PM a couple boys walk by, going south, carrying a pvc pole with two Trump 2024 flags on it. Like others, I chuckled and waved at them.

Sometime later I hear an engine revving and screaming coming from behind me. When I stood up and turned around there was a gold Yukon driving south with people hanging out the windows screaming "F-you you racist pigs", "I hope you drown", "Die M-fer", etc. This is very unusual for this area.

By now the boys are passing by me on the ocean side going back north. (So it goes road- people/beach- ocean. I am watching the Yukon speed south down the beach. At about 200 yards away it whips around and starts heading back north... Everything else I'm about to type happens very quickly.

As I realize the Yukon full of people are coming back for the boys I turned north and called out to them to get behind me. One of the boys said "their words don't hurt us". My wife, who is a Marine as well, looks at him and says "It's their fists we're worried about". I turned south to my daughter and told her to grab the boys and run if the people come out of the Yukon after us.

Now I am looking at the Yukon closing in to 100 yards and then I glance west at my truck parked across the road. Yes, all of my personal defense tools are in it and I can't make it to the truck and back before they are on us. So I resign myself to making due with what's at hand and continue to watch the Yukon close in. As it is passing a group of Jeeps parked together a man jumps out in front of the Yukon stopping it. Then all four doors fly open and male and females start piling out as people are popping out from the Jeeps. They all start fighting and it is straight up chaos for what seems like forever before the police arrive. (my wife and others around us called 911).

Wrapping it up- I told the boys they needed to have their head on a swivel if they are going to walk around with Trump flags like that. Clearly they did not think or understand that people would potentially physically attack them.

The fight between the Yukon group and the Jeep group started because of the Yukon speeding down the beach. The Jeep group yelled at them to slow down on the first pass and stopped them during the second (wrong way) pass.

In my opinion if the Jeep people hadn't fought the Yukon group, I was in for it. Clearly they were looking for a fight and had no problem throwing down. Thankfully only fists were used.

Afterwards a few guys walked up to me and said they saw what I saw and "had my back" if anything had gone down. Maybe they would have; however I don't count on other people, ever. I do have pics of the scene post fight; however there are thong bikinis and other stuff that isn't forum material. If you use your imagination you can picture the occupants of the Yukon. They even had a 1-2 year child with them...

The timing of all this is kind of interesting because it costs $10 to bring a vehicle onto the beach, but they stop charging after 5PM. After 5PM is when they rolled up. Another sign to me they were just out looking for trouble.

I haven't decided what I am going to change about my defensive carry while actually on the beach, if anything. It has never been an option because I can't secure it if I go into the ocean. I don't know if this event warrants carrying to the beach and then walking back and forth to the truck to secure and reacquire my tools after swimming.

One thing is for sure- it is crazy out there and I think it will get worse as the summer starts.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Smartcarry/belly band, small pistol inside of a sandwich bag. Or take a larger bag, cut it to size and shape, and use a lighter to seal the edges with the pistol inside.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
In NE FL? That's crazy!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Something like a waterproof hip pouch might be like what you want. Although the fact that this one is transparent isn't very ideal, but just to give one an idea.

I carry everywhere when I'm not out of state. EVERYWHERE. Even on the ski slopes I'm carrying. So I think coming up with a solution for carrying on the beach would be a good idea.

By the way, I think the forum can handle seeing women in thong bikinis. Just saying.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The correct answer for $200 is:

always carry! Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IMHO a glock might be the best tool, fanny pack on your waist, storage bag in a bag where you can get to it. Salt water and sand are tough on metal.

Posts: 23442 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we went to the beach last year, I put my G19 in a gallon ziplock, it stayed in the beach bag (towels, goggles, sunscreen etc)

Same same when we go to. The pool, no one bothers other people stuff. It’s refreshing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Glad that didn't turn into something worse. Makes me think about all sorts of scenarios that I hadn't previously.

My youngest and I enjoy early morning romps along New Smyrna beach. We are usually there for sunrise and out by 9am. Yesterday she took out her new inflatable paddle board. The early morning walkers and joggers paid the "old man" with binoculars and baggy shirt no mind.

I had a p365 on my person.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, because of my executive protection training teaching me to objectively evaluate threats and mitigation methods, I think your 1st and most impactful change would be to leave those beaches before 5.

No different than avoiding a bad neighborhood, just avoiding the bad time.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thong bikini's are forum approved, please post those pics! Cool

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a reusable type of ziplock bag off Amazon. Much heavier and durable than grocery store ziplocks. I use mine mainly for waterproof storage for my Iphone. Be great for beach EDC. Search Amazon for "Gorilla Grip Reusable Bags".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gorilla Grip Reusable Bags
I use these when I'm canoeing. Tough and waterproof.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe these idiots would risk the health of their wives/girlfriends and a young child to make their point...which is wrong in my opinion.

Crazies everywhere!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The challenge is where do you put it when you go in the water?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The challenge is where do you put it when you go in the water?

You take it in the water with you...in a waterproof fanny pack or sling pack. Assuming such a thing exists that is reliable.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I can think of no better tool for the job.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've never understood how some people could decide that some places are safe and some are dangerous. I've never met anyone who has the ability to predict when and where bad things happen.

Having said that, here's a waterproof gun bag:
https://www.amazon.com/VooDoo-...Pistol/dp/B017AIZI2O

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You can plan for just about everything but crazy is a whole new dimension.

It’s unfortunate that there are so many mentally ill people in this country.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've lived on or near the Florida beach for my entire life. I've had many a date that ended up on the beach, um, late at night, just me and my girl, and a few passing drunks and possibly losers or lowlifes. There are numerous reports from Texas shoreline all the way to Maine, of attacks at beaches. I ALWAYS carry. During the day when lots of people are around its usually safer, but I still have something in my beach bag. After dark I ALWAYS have a 1000 lumen flashlight and a pistol with a laser grip on it. Never had to pull the gun, but felt like it came close before. Blasting some idiot in the face with 1000 lumens, usually changes their victim selection process.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post