SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to stay in Philly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to stay in Philly? Login/Join 
posted
Looking to stay in Philly. Last time I went I was at center city. Not sure if thats still the spot? We plan on doing Eastern State Penn, eating some cheesesteaks and checking out Independence Hall. So any cheesesteak places and hotels would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We were there for our anniversary last month (33 years!) and stayed at the Loews. Nice room, centrally located in downtown (2 blocks or so from city hall), so we walked everywhere except to the art museum. We booked through Hotels.com and got a decent rate (for downtown) for Friday-Sunday nights, but parking is expensive.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to consider Reading Terminal Market for some good eats. A lot to choose from under one roof.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
...checking out Independence Hall......

Be aware carry is not permitted at Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and may other buildings designated as Federal Property!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WEC
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
...checking out Independence Hall......

Be aware carry is not permitted at Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and may other buildings designated as Federal Property!

What are PA carry laws anyway? Id have to get thru NY and NJ so Impossible for me anyway lol

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Got to consider Reading Terminal Market for some good eats. A lot to choose from under one roof.

It's been more than a few years since I've been there. The food was pretty good and the ice cream at Bassett's was great!

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are PA carry laws anyway? Id have to get thru NY and NJ so Impossible for me anyway lol

For you reading pleasure....................

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7582

https://www.usconcealedcarry.c...ity_map/pa-gun-laws/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Assuming you'll have a car, maybe consider staying in NJ-- Cherry Hill or Mount Laurel, for example-- just for the lower hotel prices. You'll pay for parking in Center City for your excursions there, but it'll still come out in the wash, and not have to deal with the down sides of the city.

Center City is a mixed-bag of "OK" and "Not OK" after hours. Lots of "street people," more visible since COVID (many of the big employers, including mine, have been in pretty-much-constant telework since shutdowns started.) Combined with generally emboldened criminals (thanks, DA Larry Krasner) you need to be extra-aware of your surroundings if you stay down there. Plus side, many of the restaurants are starting to reopen under semi-normal conditions.

Sandwiches: Decent pork sandwiches at a few stands in Reading Terminal. Really good cheesesteaks are to be found in the various neighborhoods (Geno's actually is decent, though a tourist trap.) If you're staying in Cherry Hill, Chick's is one of our regular lunch places (bring your appetite, these are big sandwiches.)

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I stay near Comcast Center. Any of the 3+ star hotels near Rittenhouse Square should do. Very walkable area. I am unsure of the Covid affect on the area though. My last trip there got cancelled in April 2020 due to the 'rona.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a conference in Philly in 2017 and stayed right across from the City Hall. Went to the Reading Terminal 3 days straight, and probably gained a lb each day. I can say even in 2017 I made a late evening walk to get a snack and it had a dicey feel in terms of street people taking an interest in what I was doing out at 11 pm on a Thursday night...

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Check out the USS Olympia and the museum that's there. She is an awesome ship.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Embassy Suites a few years ago. Very nice hotel. Looks like they had just finished a nice remodel when we went.

Another vote for Reading Market. That was an incredible eatery. Lots and lots of different options.

As far as cheesesteaks, we just did the touristy thing and had Pats and Gino's. Both were decent enough, but I suspect there are better ones if you do your homework.

Eastern State Penn was a great tour as was Independence Hall and the Liberty bell. The US Mint was fun to see and we also enjoyed the Ben Franklin Museum.

I also recommend one of the double decker bus tours. Those are very informative and a great way to see a lot of the city. The hop on/hop off one we used had a stop about a block, if that, away from the hotel so it made it easy to get around.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at the Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown several times. It's on Chestnut Street, right in the middle of Old City, which puts all the historic and river stuff within a few blocks.

Definitely hit RTM one day for lunch (or just exploring). If you do stay in old city, one of the best cheesesteaks I've had was from Campo's on Market Street.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I haven't been back in a few years but we stayed several times at the Warwick Hotel on Rittenhouse Square. It's a cool area of town!

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post