SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you know that many years ago, a 15 foot high wall of molasses killed 21 people in Boston?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know that many years ago, a 15 foot high wall of molasses killed 21 people in Boston? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The solution for this is obvious. We need to ban all high capacity molasses tanks immediately and make possession of too much molasses a Felony. We should also be investigating if we need to ban Assault Sugar Sifters.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Class?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Common knowledge if you're a native New Englander even if not from Massachusetts.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Who can tell us what's wrong with Scooter123's post?

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Class?

Hmmm. No politics in a non-political thread?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I knew of this - what a way to go.

"Let me tell you about when your great-grandpa was killed by syrup . . . "

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Class?
Hmmm. No politics in a non-political thread?
That's right. Politics in an apolitical thread, not to mention using a joke that is old, overused, and above all, unfunny.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The History Guy’s video on this event is great too.

At a piano lesson for my 12yo or I’d embed it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
At a piano lesson for my 12yo or I’d embed it.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:

but how in the world did they clean this up? I am sure a lot of people took some.

The Wikipedia article Para linked to said this:

quote:

Cleanup

Cleanup crews used salt water from a fireboat to wash away the molasses and sand to absorb it,[17] and the harbor was brown with molasses until summer.[18] The cleanup in the immediate area took weeks,[19] with several hundred people contributing to the effort,[7]: 132–134, 139 [15] and it took longer to clean the rest of Greater Boston and its suburbs. Rescue workers, cleanup crews, and sight-seers had tracked molasses through the streets and spread it to subway platforms, to the seats inside trains and streetcars, to pay telephone handsets, into homes,[6][7]: 139  and to countless other places. It was reported that "Everything that a Bostonian touched was sticky."[6]

The event entered local folklore and residents claimed for decades afterwards that the area still smelled of molasses on hot summer days

Link

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
<Video>

That's the one! Thank you kindly.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I DID know this, thanks to me watching that YouTube channel for over a year. I spend mucho time deep diving various topics on YouTube,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When confronted by an advancing 15 foot high wall of molasses remember, you can rum but not dive.

Dr. Jekyll saw he could rum, but not Hyde.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong fat ass and lover of sweets, pack my pockets full of homemade biscuits and send me out this way!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post