SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milk Going Bad Well Before Expiration Date?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milk Going Bad Well Before Expiration Date? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I think there was a discussion here some time ago about this but it seems like there is something going on with the milk we buy that has never been a thing before.

Twice now in the past month, from two different sources; Aldi and our local grocery store chain Giant, the 2% milk my wife buys has gone bad like nasty smelly bad 4-5 days BEFORE the printed expiration date!

What is going on here? It used to be I could keep using milk for days after the expiration date and have no issues but now it's going bad before?

Anyone else here seeing this? Our fridge is less than 2 years old and right at the correct temp so it's not that.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Same brand milk from both places?

HEB Organic Whole Milk in our house.
We rarely have a gallon last to the exp date.
The few times we do, we can usually get a day or two beyond with no change in smell/taste.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The milk was probably not stored correctly somewhere along the supply chain before you bought it.
It could be that the date was changed so they didn't have to dump it, but I'll give Aldi the benefit of doubt on that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We're getting the same thing with full fat milk from Safeway. Seems like within two days after purchase, it starts getting a sour smell.

The use by dates on the label seem to be less farther out as well, but show little correlation with the perceived freshness of the product.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
the organic milks are treated differently:

process called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.

https://www.scientificamerican...c-milk-lasts-longer/

Posts: 1567 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The milk was probably not stored correctly somewhere along the supply chain before you bought it.

That's my thought, several stops along the way, it sat out unrefrigerated. Seeing that we're in the middle of hot-season, doesn't take much for crates to sit on the loading dock warming-up awaiting movement into the refer or, someone at the check-stand not getting items back into place.
Bring it back, hope you got the receipt as most stores will just exchange it out no problem.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.
Supply chain (mis)handling.

With the general lack of "give a shit" by so many people in the workforce, this should be no surprise.

I have seen moldy cheese, bread, in the stores, stocked that day, meat going bad, and even eggs having lost moisture (tough membranes and "weak" yolks), along with "fresh" vegetables being that in name only.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Same brand milk from both places?

Store brand from Aldi and Giant

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple weeks ago we bought some name-brand Italian sausages from a Meijer store. After preparing them the same way we've been doing it for over 20 years, it tasted bad and we threw out several hour's work and several nights' dinners.

In this case, we are just being more selective when we pick out our groceries, but that wouldn't help with milk.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got tired of dealing with this some years ago. I switched to powdered and mix a quart Ball's jar at a time. Took a couple weeks to get used to it but now I don't even like regular milk anymore. Really only use it for coffee and dunkin cookies in though.

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I mostly get the fakes now too. For me it’s usually almond or soy milk, the main reason is a longer use life.

I’m not picky, don’t mind a little different taste. It’s mostly on cereal anyway.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yep. Here, too.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
One other possibility is the temperature in your refrigerator. Milk sours faster than most things so if the refrigerator is struggling to stay cool, sour milk can be an early sign.

This happened to us recently when a circulation fan went out and had to be replaced.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2157 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Along the poor handling line of thought.

Has it been unusually hot? Delivery trucks are many times struggling to maintain temperatures. Couple that with the normal wait time (too long)on a dock getting checked in. Now your rolling milk into a cooler that is barely maintaining temp, or quite possibly over temp by a bit. Cooler unit at store is going to be stressed too. I wouldn’t be buying milk at the c-store unless I knew for a fact it was treated properly. It’s more difficult to do that for a dozen stops, throughout the day, not impossible, but more difficult.

This kind of weather finds me buying half gallons, those extras remain sealed and don’t leave the fridge 4-6 times till gone.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5232 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
One other possibility is the temperature in your refrigerator. Milk sours faster than most things so if the refrigerator is struggling to stay cool, sour milk can be an early sign.

This happened to us recently when a circulation fan went out and had to be replaced.

My fridge is less than 2 years old and the temp readout says 37 which is the normal reading for a GE

quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

Has it been unusually hot?

Yes it was an insanely hot June and first half of July for the Northeast with temps at what we normally don't see until late July or August; 95-100 degrees. It only started cooling down this week with some actual rain. That may be the issue here, I never thought about the whole weather factor.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
We have noticed it also. Several times in the last 6 months or so, milk had to be discarded well before the expiration date.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4860 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have had similar experiences

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
We had a long thread on this very topic going in the What's Your Deal section. I think Bald1 posted it. You're far from alone, my wife and I have noticed it intermittently over the last four years. Different places, different stores, and different parts of the country, some of them right by the dairy the milk comes from.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The early bad milk is something wife and I have noticed quite a bit and it seems to be the same across different grocery store chains. Its not the temp of the refrigerator.

The fix for us is to buy Horizon milk which is ultra pasteurized, but it costs $5.99 and half gallon, however it has a 6 week long life. We've never had one go bad early.

While the price makes you wince, paying $2.99 for a half gallon but throwing some away isn't a bargain. I'd rather pay more for milk and have it stay good.

Posts: 4243 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We buy ours at Costco. It regularly gets used way past the date they give ya. Like at least a week more. No other source even comes close. Plus it just tastes the best of all of 'em.

We do keep our milk on the bottom at the very back though.

Posts: 7380 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post