SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milk Going Bad Well Before Expiration Date?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milk Going Bad Well Before Expiration Date? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one having milk souring issues. Ours does it as well with many different brands. The fridge is cold but the milk is bad.

Posts: 7045 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with Kroger, bought half gallon ay Meijer, went sour way before the experation date. Don't know, only a few bucks.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have always considered the expiration date only good if the product is properly stored and UN-OPENED.

Once opened all bets are off due to possible contamination.
Is that not the correct view?

For years we have bought Walmart milk. Great Value brand.
I can't remember ever a bad jug... likely because of a high product turn over rate.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4172 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky we have a family owned dairy close to me. They bottle their own milk and it's Non-homogenized. Plus their Chocolate milk is addictive. Drill Sgt on here knows he's had it too.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I have always considered the expiration date only good if the product is properly stored and UN-OPENED.

Once opened all bets are off due to possible contamination.
Is that not the correct view?

For years we have bought Walmart milk. Great Value brand.
I can't remember ever a bad jug... likely because of a high product turn over rate.

This is the correct view. I came here to post this exact reply. If it's opened, the expiry is meaningless. It then depends on what bacteria has gotten in and how fast they reproduce.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milk is usually packaged locally to you.......
https://www.whereismymilkfrom.com/

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphcc1:
Milk is usually packaged locally to you.......
https://www.whereismymilkfrom.com/

Good link! The code is a five digit one (with a hyphen) next to the date. The milk for us comes from Jefferson City.

We buy Great Value milk from WalMart and have never had a problem with it. I just bought two gallons of 1% yesterday (because our grandaughters are visiting) and they are stamped 08/10/24. They will easily last until then.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve had plenty of the great value milk from shillmart go bad well before expiration for several months. Something definitely seems different.

Posts: 6038 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I think there was a discussion here some time ago about this but it seems like there is something going on with the milk we buy that has never been a thing before.

Twice now in the past month, from two different sources; Aldi and our local grocery store chain Giant, the 2% milk my wife buys has gone bad like nasty smelly bad 4-5 days BEFORE the printed expiration date!

What is going on here? It used to be I could keep using milk for days after the expiration date and have no issues but now it's going bad before?

Anyone else here seeing this? Our fridge is less than 2 years old and right at the correct temp so it's not that.

Have you actually put a thermometer in your fridge to test the actual temperature. If you are relying on that setting dial you have only a slight clue about the temperature and most of the time it will be wrong.

I get my 2% from Kroger and if left unopened it will last for a week or more past the expiration date, if opened daily and parked on the counter for 5 minutes or so it will last to the expiration date. If you leave it on the counter or table for a half hour to make it convenient to everyone then it will get lumpy before the expiration date. Point is that Counter Time kills milk, pour the milk and immediately put it back in the fridge. If family members want a bit of milk on the table for coffee and such put out a small pitcher and pour the leftover down the drain.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I only buy 16oz bottles. They will last to the expiration date as long as they are not opened. Once opened they will be going bad on the second day regardless of the expiration date.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4802 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Same grocery store? It was definitely a problem in Miami - usually, the milk on the shelf never had more than 6 or 7 days until it was due to expire.

The store may not keep the fridge cold enough/might be too warm in the store to keep temp.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it’s a California thing or not but we have best by and sell by dates now, not expired dates. Believe the couple different milks we get have best by dates and I feel like our milk almost always lasts at least a couple days past the best by date. I was already thinking somewhere from the source to the shelf it wasn’t properly handled if you’re having issues, but it’s been covered quite a bit before my post.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2537 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have been buying the Great Value from Walmart and never had this problem. My Walmart is very busy and sells a lot. I don't think it sets out anywhere long. I transport all cold items home in an ice chest with a freeze pack unless it is winter. I also keep my fridge very cold, sometimes a few water bottles freeze but this doesn't bother me. Also I have noticed that with friends that have bought the newer fridges with the electronic digital controls the fridge compartment just does not get as cold as the older models like mine. If you have an ir thermometer gun with the laser pointer you can check everywhere and see what temp you really have.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9408 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was involved in the earlier thread about milk spoiling. We've since gone to 1/2 gallon paper cartons at Safeway with the single exception of Prairie Farms plastic gallons at the local base Commissary. They have NEVER gone bad.

The code link was interesting and as expected the milk at the local Safeway comes from a Denver Albertson's plant. Semis are loaded with milk and other products for delivery to individual stores. Our feeling is that they are exposed to non-optimal temps with all the extra handling they seem to get. The 1/2 gallon containers go fast enough to thwart spoiling.

The Prairie Farms milk, available at the local base Commissary, is a farmers' co-op with a plant outside Sioux Falls. Their semis deliver to a huge refrigerated storage unit a half mile from the base as well as direct to the base. Ellsworth AFB is their largest local customer.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16502 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post