SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember, politics is almost entirely about getting re-elected, and only about something else by accident or coincidence.

That's very cynical, jhe. Not far off the truth, but very cynical. Big Grin

They will divide up the spoils until there are no more spoils to divide and the country collapses under the weight of the debt.
Until then... party on.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
This should have all been worked out behind the scenes, doing this in front of the press lets them know they can bully McCarthy moving forward and who they need to smear first on the R side, Bobert, Roy, Gaetz.

A unified front on the R side would have had tactical advantages that are lost now.

Slowly pulls out Reynolds Wrap, folds into a nice hat, slides in on, begins to post.....

Possible that we are watching is an orchestrated effort to put another wedge into the more conservative representatives and remove them from any position of power in the eyes of the public.

Look see those mean MAGA right wingers, can't come together with everyone of us on a simple SOTH vote, they are the problem...

Won't be surprised if it was worked out with the Dems who want Trump, MAGA and all far right crushed in advance.

Or perhaps not... it's in chapter 4 of my book...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Today was just another day of politics. I have no doubt that McCarthy will eventually be the SOTH but he'll have to give some concessions.

I'm sure all the important factions talked behind the scenes but in the end, McCarthy wants his power and doesn't want it diluted. The opposition knows that unless they get concessions before he's elected, they'll be left off committees or be punished by being moved to smaller offices.

It's politics. Sometimes it's messy when we see it in public.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
most republicans in politics aren't real republicans, they're right of center democrats that know they wouldn't get elected as a D so they put an R in front of their name

content of character is meaningless to a politician - its how they became a politician in the first place

you can count on republicans to screw up an orgasm

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with what these hold-outs are doing. This is exactly what we elected them to do.

McCarthy is a slimeball.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
As Matt Gaetz said, “If you want to drain the swamp, you cannot put the biggest alligator in charge of the exercise.”

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I have no problem with what these hold-outs are doing. This is exactly what we elected them to do.

McCarthy is a slimeball.

Dude rents/shares his apartment from democrat pollster Frank Luntz… swampy a f

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gaetz. I'd like someone who doesn't want the job. McCarthy wants the title and the power...nothing more. He has no interest in doing what's needed to save this nation.

And, I'd like that smug asshole Eyepatch McCain to go away. Hopefully you folks down in TX can give him a new job.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They've had a 3rd round of voting now. Looks like most of the Rs voted Jim Jordon. Is this just a protest vote or will Jordon be put in the job? What to make of this?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Saw spot on FOX with Chip Roy (R-Texas) as to his resistance to McCarthy. He believes McCarthy is to much a part of the swamp establishment.
Seems, listening to Roy, as though McCarthy has given into the Democrats too much in his role of Minority Leader.
Makes a lot of sense to me.

There are ways that McCarthy could have slowed down the bill long before it reached the floor but he didn’t, why wait until days before the senate vote to publicly speak out against the omnibus bill.

Above was said there is nothing we could do, well I contacted my representative who voted for McCarthy three times and let him know via phone message and written correspondence what I thought of his vote and why.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Today was just another day of politics. I have no doubt that McCarthy will eventually be the SOTH but he'll have to give some concessions.

I'm sure all the important factions talked behind the scenes but in the end, McCarthy wants his power and doesn't want it diluted. The opposition knows that unless they get concessions before he's elected, they'll be left off committees or be punished by being moved to smaller offices.

If the Republicans don't work something out soon, we'll end up with a Democrat as Speaker. The Democrats are a solid black for their leader, and that is not going to change. The last time multiple votes for Speaker were required, eventually they made a resolution that after the next vote the person with the plurality (most votes) would be Speaker. Right now, that would be the Democrat, and that would be catastrophic.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

If the Republicans don't work something out soon, we'll end up with a Democrat as Speaker. The Democrats are a solid black for their leader, and that is not going to change. The last time multiple votes for Speaker were required, eventually they made a resolution that after the next vote the person with the plurality (most votes) would be Speaker. Right now, that would be the Democrat, and that would be catastrophic.

flashguy

When was that? I would be interested what you have.

This was what I found.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...publican/ar-AA15VRvM

While all eyes in Washington, D.C., were on Republican Representative Kevin McCarthy’s work Tuesday to shore up support in his bid to be elected House speaker, it’s worth noting that the high-stakes battle has a historical precedent — with a Massachusetts connection.

U.S. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) (C) talked to a colleague as Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) worked behind him, as the House of Representatives casted their votes for Speaker of the House, on the first day of the 118th Congress in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol Building.
U.S. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) (C) talked to a colleague as Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) worked behind him, as the House of Representatives casted their votes for Speaker of the House, on the first day of the 118th Congress in the House Chamber of the U.S. Capitol Building.
© Win McNamee

The last time a vote for speaker went to multiple ballots was in 1923, when a bloc of Republicans refused to reelect Representative Frederick Huntington Gillett, a patrician Massachusetts Republican, according to the US House archives.

Gillett didn’t emerge victorious until the ninth ballot, with a tally of 215 votes that was the lowest total of any speaker since the House reached its modern size, according to the Washington Post.

Gillett, a Westfield native, served in the House of Representatives from 1893 to 1925 and in the US Senate from 1925 until 1931, according to the House archives.

During the speaker’s battle in 1923, a group of progressive Republicans forced Gillett to endure nine floor votes before he was declared the victor, Garrison Nelson, an emeritus professor of of law, politics, and political behavior at the University of Vermont, wrote in a Globe opinion piece in 2018.

On the first ballot, Nelson wrote, fellow Republicans cast 197 votes for Gillett; 17 votes for Henry Cooper of Wisconsin; 5 votes for Martin Madden of Illinois; with 4 voting present, denying Gillett the 210 votes of the 418 present members he needed for victory. Opposition remained steady until the ninth ballot, when all 17 of Cooper’s voters and 3 of Madden’s gave Gillett a 215-197 victory, according to Nelson.

Gillett, who served as an assistant attorney general in Massachusetts and as a state representative before his tenure in Congress, died in 1935 in Springfield,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's kind of hard to see this as a mistake or a clever move to isolate the more honest Republicans in the House.

This has been building for a while in both the House and the Senate. This follows an election where Republicans elected to the House tended to be more pro-Trump and anti-Establishment. This is happening during a Congress where the Republicans have a mere nine-vote majority, and can lose a vote if they lose as few as five Republican votes. All of those factors together suggest to me that this confrontation was always going to happen and that the pro-Establishment Republicans and Democrats were always going to react to it in one way or another.

Even if the forces of darkness were plotting to isolate them and (they hope) render them politically irrelevant, this confrontation was, IMHO, always going to occur simply because there was always going to be a day when the votes for or against Buisness As Usual were going to have to be counted up.

I've argued before that Biden is a particularly weak excuse for an effective President because half of the country thinks he "won" a rigged election. (I could make the same prediction for Hobbs in Arizona, but that's beside the point and I'm still waiting to see where Lake's appeal goes anyway.) If McCarthy wins, his actual powers as Speaker of the House are going to be defined very quickly. With the small majority of Republicans he's actually got, he has to (as he clearly has been) negotiate his ass off. If that happens then I guess we'll see how well the Republicans on the other side play their collective hand.

Of course if McCarthy doesn't win, then someone else is going to get to herd all those cats, 'cause every last one of them will still be right there on the floor of the House.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last time multiple votes for Speaker were required, eventually they made a resolution that after the next vote the person with the plurality (most votes) would be Speaker.

Not going to happen.
Who are the 6 Republicans that would vote for such a resolution?

The McRino's need to go.

With 3 votes down for McCarthy let's hope he takes the gentleman's way out and decline from tomorrows nominations.

General Washington did not want to become President, yet he served us well.
I see Rep. Jim Jordan as similar, best suited for the job, as he is qualified yet not wanting it.

Time to drain the swamp.
If not now then when?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
All dog and pony show. In the end, McCarthy will be Speaker.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
All dog and pony show. In the end, McCarthy will be Speaker.

Sadly I believe you’re right. The R’s will line up behind Squishy McSquishy and it will be business as usual…meaning WE get screwed!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
probably but I'm going to be the fool who says it's different this time. McCarthy proclaimed before the 1st vote that any gop who voted against him would be stripped of committee assignments.

That puts the 20 in no mans land so they may as well play the hand. KM is a known liar so he may offer dem level graft to get enough of the 20 to change votes. Could possibly get dems to cross the aisle, too. Tomorrow will be interesting. My choice is Thomas Massie so you can forget him. Wink

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phyllis Schlafly (Eagle Forum) nailed it when in the 90's she said that there is NO difference between democrats and republicans. They are both racing America off the cliff. The democrats are driving the vehicle at 70 mph, while the republicans are driving us at 55 mph. We are STILL GOING OVER THE CLIff.

The GOP is perfectly happy with the results.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
A few on Twitter seem to think McCarthy is looking to get 11 Democrats to vote present which would lower the 218 threshold.

If McCarthy were to achieve the Speakership with help of Democrats, you can be assured he made promises.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds very swampish. Make promises to Dems to get votes, when he wouldn't make promises to Conservatives.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post