SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anything Bad To Say About A Grand Cherokee? Update: Now Looking at Ford Edge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything Bad To Say About A Grand Cherokee? Update: Now Looking at Ford Edge Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate buying cars. Last time I bought one was a 1995 Jimmy, bought it in 1996. I would keep it, but three different maintenance shops have been baffled by the brake problem; it appears that nobody has an answer for that, so the Jimmy needs to be replaced. I'm not going to continue to drive a vehicle with a brake problem that nobody knows how to fix.

What is this brake problem you are having?

If it is a grinding noise when braking, but only at slow speed (less than 3-5 MPH) it is most likely part of the ABS system. I went through this on my 2000 silverado. It turned out to be a defective wheel speed sensor. If that is the problem with your vehicle I can provide some hints on how to determine which one is bad.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Use Car Gurus and do a search with your selected parameters:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...filtersModified=true

Like buying a home, now 70 percent of homes bought are found doing a search which is up from 60 percent from 5 years ago.

Yup, tried that. Best candidates that I came up with, in terms of comfortable fit for my legs and clean CarFax, were the Jeep and the Edge that I mentioned.

So far, every one of y'all who has commented has said negatives about the Jeep, nothing positive.

Nobody has commented on the Edge, yet. I'm not a big fan of front wheel drive, but it's not a deal-killer, either.

Cannot comment on the Edge. My grandson has 2 jeeps at the moment. One inherited from my mom, the other he bought. The inherited one must be about 15-18 years old, and running like a top.

He has had no problems with the new one, either.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can say is my '04 Grand Cherokee was the most reliable, trouble free vehicle that I ever owned. It had a 4.0L and I got an honest 24 MPG highway and 18 MPG city.

It was totaled in the fall of '09 and I have missed it every day since.

Comfortable ride and no matter the weather it just went.

Just regular maintenance was done and one power window repair, it came off the track and stuck in the door. The AC evaporator had a leak after a rig kicked up a Rock(?) That bounced up under my Jeep. Both fixed under warranty.

Everything worked perfectly, as new until the day it was totaled.

My '79 Cherokee was the second most reliable trouble free vehicle that I ever owned. I bought it in '99 with 98,000 original miles. It died at 300,000+ miles after the transfer case/transmission cracked and I couldn't find a replacement.

I must have been lucky with my Jeep's, but that's strange as I'm a fairly unlucky person.

A girl that I dated had a 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L she got rid of it​ it was pushing 400,000 miles. No kidding. Never gave her a problem. Just regular maintenance. The alternator was replaced at 175,000+ miles and water pump just over 300,000 miles. She got rid of it because she was getting scared of the high mileage and she wanted a new vehicle.

I guess that I have had just the good Jeep's.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Looking at used vehicles, my choices seem to be pretty limited when trying to find something that will accommodate my extra-long legs.

I found a 2009 Grand Cherokee, 130,000 miles, loaded, at a reputable dealer (Ford dealer).

The big question I have is the engine. Do I really need a 5.7L V-8 hemi? Is it a major gas-sucker?

Are all of these 4WD? I did not see that mentioned on the listing, did not think to ask when I looked at it, at the dealer.

I only saw two vehicles in my price range (as far below $15K as I can get) that both fit my long legs, and did not have accidents reported on CarFax: this 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited, and a 2010 Ford Edge Limited with the 3.5L V-6. Similar prices, similar mileage (130K and 118K, respectively).

Planning to take another look at them this evening.

Any experience with either, good or bad, please post.

Thanks

My father and I had experiences with one in the 1990s...

I'm sure you'll find people that love them, but it was a POS and a money sucker until we got rid of it. From day one it was never problem-free...from little electrical problems to major transmission and engine issues to major electrical problems. We could never be confident it would start...and if it started, we could never be really confident it would get us where we were going.

I vowed never to have any type of Jeep ever after that short-lived debacle.

Steaming pile of manure.

YMMV. (And if you purchase one, I hope you experience zero problems) Big Grin

I too have always found Grand Cherokee's to be gas guzzling POS's. I wouldn't touch one with 130k with a ten foot pole.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Why are you not looking at a 4Runner?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
It's a Chrysler, not a Jeeo. I won't bother telling my Chrysler/Jeep stories, but as others have said, I wouldn't touch another one. That includes the cheaper Mercedes that Chrysler had a hand in.

And I'm not picky- I'm okay with Ford, Chevy, VW, Toyota, Honda, etc.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
We got rid of our Hemi Grand Cherokee, it loved too much fuel. The 96 we had with the 4.7 was a sweetheart. We had very few issues with it. I'd pass on that one V-Tail. Good luck with your search.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10987 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife drove jeeps for years, none got good gas mileage but she liked the 4wd when she went to visit her dad on his farm. Her last one was a piece of crap, brake rotors had to be replaced several times under warranty, transmission took a dump at around 50,000 miles, got rear ended at about 2 mph, didn't even dent the bumper but the drivers seat broke, nothing but problems. She won't even talk about getting another jeep. On her second Subie really likes them.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail

I can't comment on the Grand Cherokee, but we have a 2010 Edge with 85K on it. Not one single issue ever. Gets 20mpg in town / 23mpg highway @80.

Lots of passenger room and comfy ride.

Posts: 2106 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My BIL had one. After a year he was often quoting the Jeep commercial with a brief add-on: "Jeep get you there...but they don't get you home".

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 710 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 quad drive 4.7 v8 200k+ still going.
Replaced the radiator at 178k and the heater coil and evaporator coil at 190k other than that still going strong.
Gas mileage sucks though

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
"Anything Bad To Say About A Grand Cherokee?"

Well, it's a Chrysler. That's enough for me to stay away. Razz

Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Any Chrysler.

I agree! I've heard of people having major electrical problems with new ones right off the lot. And Chrysler has always had issues with their transmissions.

I would love to have a new dodge truck. But ill never buy a Chrysler vehicle.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, but traded it in on an Acura RDX. I started reading way too many horror stories, and indeed data from several sites that track reliability rate the 14 JGC as highly problematic. But I think they have figured out a lot of the problems. I might get one now.

However, Toyota 4Runner is the most reliable vehicle in that class, by far. Also, the Ford Explorer might be one to look at. But when it comes time to trade in my current 335i, I will be looking between the 4Runner (if they can smooth out the ride), the Grand Cherokee (if they can get reliability up), or the Ram 1500.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Why are you not looking at a 4Runner?
I tried one on for size. Legs / knees don't fit. Also, $$, but the seating position is the deal killer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
PA28's rule. Razz

V-tail will get it...
Smile

The last instrument rating that I instructed for, the trainee had a PA28. It did the job just fine. Plenty of leg room / knee room for me, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like, as of this writing, Ford Edge is the leading candidate. Those with power adjustable driver seats, along with the tilt / telescope steering wheels, give me ample, comfortable, leg / knee room. Those with manual seat adjustments do not have sufficient range of motion for the driver seat.

Looking at two 2010 Edge Limited right now.

So far, a responder in this thread said his 2010 has been totally trouble-free for 85K miles.

Anybody else to chime in with good or bad about the Edge?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I loved my 2010 Edge with the 3.5l V-6. 125,000 trouble free miles until my wife got rid of it for something newer this year. I absolutely would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
My friend who has legs like stilts prefers the seating position in my '13 Sierra over both his Ford Edge AND his wife's Grand Cherokee.

Perhaps a peek at a 2007-2013 Tahoe/ Yukon? Mileage may be a little less than the smaller vehicles but I average real world over 15 with my Sierra, with heavier than stock tires (more rolling resistance).

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Perhaps a peek at a 2007-2013 Tahoe/ Yukon?
Anything I have looked at is either out of my price range or pretty beat up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
We have a 2014 Edge, wifes, primarily. We both really like it, comfortable, handles nicely, does great on lousy roads.

Posts: 761 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post