SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Florists in the house? Husband’s Guide tobuying flowers for the Missus required…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Florists in the house? Husband’s Guide tobuying flowers for the Missus required… Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Just bought some flowers for my wife. Full old guy attitude, they look nice? Sure, I’ll take them.
Easily done.

At home, they get the seal of approval for 5 minutes then the observations start to rain on me.
The flowers are wide open, they will not last. They will start to shed the idontknowwhats that i’m allergic to….. It’s 100F outside, why buy flowers? etc.

Someone has tips for buting flowers? dos and don’ts, Flowers 101 or for old dummies?

Could use a clue, even a used and abused one.

I’m not into buying flowers but sometimes i get “signals” that flowers are required/needed/wanted.
Then i buy them and the whole cycle comes to life.

HELP!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12088 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
No offense, but I kinda get the feeling that the flowers are not the problem here.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
LOL, none taken.
Scenario hasn’t changed in the 17 years we’ve been together.

Maybe the settings and socio cultural differences make it incompatible with a suited answer.

Flowers are usually available in small stands on the street or at flower shops.

The street vendors are a one man operation, an old tired guy trying to make a modest living in a society too striken by inflation to spend in such luxury. The choice is cheap flowers and roses, very expensive when imported. The bouquets are simple, nothing fancy.

Flower shops are fancy but usually attended by young girls not at receiving end age and they don’t know the first thing about flowers.
They come and go fast, hardly ever see the same clerk twice. They have no advise to offer.

0-0

Posts: 12088 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky with respect to wives/flowers.

My wife's first husband cheated on her constantly and afterwards, he'd apologize profusely, promise never to do it again and bring flowers.

If I brought flowers to Mrs. Flash, I think she'd pull out her gun and shoot me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Didn’t mean to start a funny thread but this is taking all the wrong turns. LOL.

0-0

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Buy from an established florist. Try to remember any of wife's allergies. Consider high-quality artificial flowers?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0-0 not a florist, just know some stuff. Usually try to buy flowers that are not fully opened up, especially if roses. Once you get then home trim the base of the stem. Hold the base under water and cut at a 45 degree angle. Once trimmed and in the vase with water.add some sprite or 7-Up to the water. I think the sugar in the sprite helps the flowers last longer. Seems to work, and was done by my grandmother and mom throughout the years.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1104 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I use a neat poem about a certain colored rose, and buy fresh matching flowers/roses.

Worked for over 40 yrs. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
0-0 not a florist, just know some stuff. Usually try to buy flowers that are not fully opened up, especially if roses. Once you get then home trim the base of the stem. Hold the base under water and cut at a 45 degree angle. Once trimmed and in the vase with water.add some sprite or 7-Up to the water. I think the sugar in the sprite helps the flowers last longer. Seems to work, and was done by my grandmother and mom throughout the years.

That is basically what i do. Forgot about the 45 degree angle though.
Used to add aspirin instead of Sprite (had never heard of it) but live now in an aspirin free environment.
Our sodas are sufar free….. Will it still work?

Regarding the thread drift, have never been up that creek and wonder if a flower bouquet is an approved paddling option. Will remaing happily ignorant for the rest of my days.

Tried keeping a few orchids last year. They were beautiful but they lasted only 3 months and became depressed afterwards. Never took better care of a plant before. They might have been sleeping and not dead but not pretty to look at anymore. Tried with 6 of them, one after the other. Our apartment is not the best pkace for plants or flowers.

Big Grin

0-0

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
10+ years in my earlier career was spend in the industry, there are flowers that will last longer, and Roses can be super expensive especially during holidays.

It's not about bringing home expensive bouquets it's about bringing something home, the gesture is much of it, find out what she likes, be sure it's in the bouquet, get it in water, clip it if you must under water and quickly into the vase.

Most florists have a packet that comes with it you put into the water to help prolong the life.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
0-0 not a florist, just know some stuff. Usually try to buy flowers that are not fully opened up, especially if roses. Once you get then home trim the base of the stem. Hold the base under water and cut at a 45 degree angle. Once trimmed and in the vase with water.add some sprite or 7-Up to the water. I think the sugar in the sprite helps the flowers last ...

That is basically what i do. Forgot about the 45 degree angle though.
Used to add aspirin instead of Sprite (had never heard of it) but live now in an aspirin free environment.
Our sodas are sufar free….. Will it still work? …

Big Grin

0-0

0-0 I think it is the sugar(glucose) acting as nourishment for the stem to keep it alive longer. I don’t know, but would guess that sugar free would not work as well, or at all in this situation. Hope this helps a bit, and good luck with the rest. Smile

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1104 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Roses, always buy roses. Damn the cost.
A first rate florist will arrange them with greens and some babies breath (white) buds. yes this is extra cost.

The wife takes them, cuts the bottom of the stems at an angle, puts them in a vase with water.

The florist advised to add a small amount of bleach, yes, laundry bleach, to the water. This helps keep the bacteria in the water down. The florist also provides a small pouch of 'flower food' a little of which is added to the water each day.

Yeah, they open, they are fragrant, and they die (which is expected cuz they were already cut off the rose bush).

But for the day I bring them home and for the next several days..I am the wife's hero. She gets them for her birthday and our anniversary. If she has been traveling (for work and out of the country for 2 weeks as example) I bring 2 roses to the airport and greet her outside of Customs. I am a hero again!

Roses...always roses!

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 499 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used to regularly buy a single rose. I think I bought one every week, usually Friday. I forget the name but it's the light lilac or light purple kind. It went to a single rose vase I gave my wife when we were still dating.

You do buy the one with the petals still close as they will last longer. Except, florists know this so the good ones take off the petals that are already open.

At some point, since she had a nice garden out in back, she told me I should stop buying her roses. So I just buy her a rose or flowers just once in a while after that.

No need to buy more than one rose. Babies breaths are a nice touch. You do it regularly enough, you can skip buying for Valentine's day as she'll understand the prices soar.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been buying meni carnations for thirty five years,was her favorite.
They keep better than daises and especially roses.She was alive for eight of those years.
I did it while she was alive and just kept up the practice because it makes me feel better.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post