SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bear Spray Met by Metal Pipe, This is what Happens When Law & Order Breaks Down, San Francisco Edition.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Spray Met by Metal Pipe, This is what Happens When Law & Order Breaks Down, San Francisco Edition. Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
This will be an interesting case to watch.
A former San Francisco official got so tired of the homeless mess by his elderly mothers home with no law enforcement response, he took matters into his own hands by pepper/bear spraying the urban outdoorsman.

Outdoorsman decides to strike back after a delay with a length of metal pipe to the former officials head (victim).
Since the victim couldn't testify immediately (although there is plenty of video of the attack), the court has released the attacker, while awaiting further proceedings.

This appears to not be a legal self-defense response by the outdoorsman. The pepper spray was not deadly force, there was a delay in his response, and he had to find the victim and chased him down to apply the pipe to his head.

The real story here, I suspect to be repeated, is that when law and order breaks down, even otherwise peaceful people will start to take matters into their own hands.

Should be interesting to see if and how the liberal courts handle this one and the uneducated media explain the law.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/27...ear-spray/index.html

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Man there is a lot to unpack there.

I can see how someone would get upset if homeless people appeared at their parents house and were doing all sorts of illegal things and police were unresponsive. Bear spray seems a little extreme and crosses a line legally. Then again if the police aren't coming... or is it subjective law enforcement?

I don't think the homeless guy has a self defense argument. He sought a weapon, practiced with it, then searched for his attacker. No timeline but if he was bear sprayed, I imagine it would take some time to recover.

What a mess that state has become.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, at most OC spray would be simple assault in most places.
Even if the official had threatened him with a firearm or other deadly weapon but then left the scene, chasing him down later and attacking him with the pipe would be aggravated assault or attempted murder in most places.
In San Francisco it apparently results in you being let out on the promise to appear later, if the victim is injured and can't immediately testify.
So what's that say to an easily offended homeless person?

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
So what's that say to an easily offended homeless person?

"Do whatever the fuck you want, then move on to the next camp down the street."

Posts: 7275 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The reality in much of America now, we can't protect you, we won't do anything about the people who harm you, but if you defend yourself, we will arrest you. Frown

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
A business owner in San Francisco was charged with battery for spraying a homeless person with a garden hose back in January.

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san...viral-video-arrested

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The reality in much of America now, we can't protect you, we won't do anything about the people who harm you, but if you defend yourself, we will arrest you. Frown

Not in free America. In WV, you’re likely to get thanked by LEO’s.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15628 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The lesson I'm getting here is that, left to their own devices, the "lawlessness and disorder are good" crowd will end up destroying themselves without the assistance of the sane majority.
So it won't last forever. Hopefully, the collateral damage will be minimal.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lesson I'm getting here is that, left to their own devices, the "lawlessness and disorder are good" crowd will end up destroying themselves without the assistance of the sane majority.

Don't the left espouse equality? Share the wealth, share the suffering. Anything inflicted upon normal, good citizens should be returned in kind to the authorities and politicians who enabled it.

So, in this case, which authority and/or politician is due a pipe to the head?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Don't the left espouse equality? Share the wealth, share the suffering. Anything inflicted upon normal, good citizens should be returned in kind to the authorities and politicians who enabled it.

So, in this case, which authority and/or politician is due a pipe to the head?

I feel like there is a Paul Pelosi joke in there somewhere, but I think he has probably suffered enough without some rando on the internet like me taking cheap shots at him.

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should spend some time on youtube watching Florida Sheriffs press conference videos.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

You should spend some time on youtube watching Florida Sheriffs press conference videos.

Smiles in Polk County's Grady Judd.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3465 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You're talking about ever shrinking islands in a vast and growing sea.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Guess the bear spray didn't work.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6986 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe a more effective approach would have been to release skunks in the homeless camp or stir up some wasps.....it's like organic gardening but with aminals.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Raising pollinators near homeless encampments sounds like an excellent idea. Maybe flies as well.

Truthfully, we're going to have to go back to the idea of "taxpayers" have rights, and the rest are expected to stay out of sight.

It's cruel - and the real travesty was the blind eye law enforcement turned to the lowest classes - but homeless shouldn't be viewed as having any right to interfere with anyone.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean if you’re gonna fuck with a homeless dude while he’s down what the hell do you expect him to do? You to start shit with somebody who’s likely bat shit crazy and literally has nothing left to lose I’d say you shouldn’t be surprised when you get a pipe to the head. I’m not rooting for the bum, in this case they are both assholes but I say chalk it up to betcha he won’t do that again and let it be

Posts: 3372 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I mean if you’re gonna fuck with a homeless dude while he’s down what the hell do you expect him to do? You to start shit with somebody who’s likely bat shit crazy and literally has nothing left to lose I’d say you shouldn’t be surprised when you get a pipe to the head. I’m not rooting for the bum, in this case they are both assholes but I say chalk it up to betcha he won’t do that again and let it be

Sigh, you’re not wrong.
At the same time, in many places in Kommiefornia at least, the mantra from city council or county supervisors is “Hands off the homeless.” It doesn’t matter what they do, how they abuse you, your property, or your family. They are a protected species. They are not held to the standards of behavior that you *will* be held to. The only practical answer seems to be to avoid them.

If they are having a hugely negative impact on you, your family, or what you have spent a significant portion of your life building, that may not be an easy answer to chose.

There is a reason why folks are fleeing the asylum for Texas, Florida, and other states that are significantly saner than Kommiefornia.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I don't know about that. In California the homeless kinda rely on people being afraid of them to camp or shit wherever they want and to panhandle from whoever they want. Seriously, SF has loooong been famous for aggressive - not to say violent - panhandlers planting themselves in front of anyone walking down a public sidewalk and demanding money.

Maybe the better solution for the average citizen is to simply NOT concede that all homeless are violent and crazy, and therefore cannot be said "no" to.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

Yeah, I don't know about that. In California the homeless kinda rely on people being afraid of them to camp or shit wherever they want and to panhandle from whoever they want. Seriously, SF has loooong been famous for aggressive - not to say violent - panhandlers planting themselves in front of anyone walking down a public sidewalk and demanding money.

Maybe the better solution for the average citizen is to simply NOT concede that all homeless are violent and crazy, and therefore cannot be said "no" to.
You are absolutely right of course. All of us, whatever our situation, gender, sex, identity, race, etc should all be held to the same standard. If someone steps out of line, they should be called on it without fear or favor. That may be what happens in Free America. That is not what happens in certain Commie Utopias.

In many cases it isn’t the homeless average citizens are afraid of, it is their government’s response to their defending themselves or their property that gives them pause. I’ve had good results with being alert and aware, acknowledging folks but giving “not interested” signals, and giving a clear direct, “No.” when asked for anything. I also don’t insert myself in their business, comment on their lifestyle, or interact with them by choice. If I can avoid having to deal with them I do. If I can’t, I understand that the government will not be my friend.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post