SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surprisingly Useful Software from Microsoft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprisingly Useful Software from Microsoft Login/Join 
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted
I know many here are not Microsoft Windows fans. I've used it since 3.1 and think Windows 10 is a great operating system. Now and then you run across a small utility that makes a good operating system even better. I recently stumbled across a utility on Microsoft's site called "Mouse Without Borders" and it is extremely effective and useful.

If you use two or more PCs (like a desktop and laptop), this utility lets you share a single mouse and keyboard. No switches required -- the connection works over your WiFi and it's pretty amazing. Once the software is installed and setup (the setup is a little clunky), the mouse will simply move between screens. Once you hit the edge of one screen, the cursor will pickup on the second screen. And the keyboard will type on any window that has focus, regardless of the two screens. It's a close to magic and I have seen on a PC. There's no lag or jitters at all.

I was actually looking to buy a hardware KVM switch, but this free utility kills my need for one. The download can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...etails.aspx?id=35460

That site has full instructions for setting it up. It's not hard to set up, but it's clunky in that you have to enter a code on both PCs so they will make the WiFi connection. Otherwise, it works like a charm - or at least has for me. It also let's you copy and paste across computers (a feature Windows is adding in an upcoming update) and will let you share the KB and mouse on up to four PCs.

Hopefully, some will find this useful. And the price is right -- free!

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool for free!

I use this at work:

Synergy

If you are running different operating systems, Synergy works like a charm as well.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
That looks interesting. I switch between multiple machines in my home office.
I'll check it out over the weekend.

Well, I just installed it on 2 machines and it works pretty well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patrick-SP2022,

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty cool.

My two machines are a Windows PC and a Mac. It would be cool to have something similar for that setup.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post