SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lead Blood Level - 18
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Blood Level - 18 Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
My daddy worked at Ethyl Corp. from 1940 until around 1978. From 1940 until about 1965 he worked in the lead area where they made Tetraethyllead. Wonder how much lead he had in his body by the time I was born in 1952

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Increase the ventilation in your reloading room. Do casting outside, if possible. Dust mask. Consider a HEPA air filter in your reloading room when loading and especially when cleaning. Gloves and lots of hand washing. I wash my hands in cold water before washing them again in warm. I tell myself it keeps my pores closed until I get the lead off Smile

I'm glad you're taking this seriously.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
When I had my 6 month checkup and diabetic blood drawn in November, I had them screen my lead level. It was 18. Should be less than 5! At 19 they have to start treatment. I'm taking 1,000 MG of Vitamin C every day. That helps flush it from your system.

So I've been more careful cleaning and reloading. Wearing gloves and immediately washing up with D-Lead hand cleaner. Let me tell you. It is hard to reload .38 special on a Dillon 650 with gloves on!

I get it checked again in the middle of January.

The max level was recently lowered from 10 to 5. I believe OSHA requires range workers to be tested regularly. We support the NRA Range in Fairfax and the testing is done semi-annual. The exhaust system weekly visits are done with special Tyvek suits and pressurized HEPA filtered full face masks ( PAPR ). The range exhaust air is actually HEPA filtered. No environment issues there. As mentioned, most lead is ingested and inhaled. The D-lead products are a must.
Attention to the contamination possibilities is the correct strategy. Best wishes to a rapid recovery.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

I don't cast my own bullets. I seldom handle targets due to having 2 hernias that haven't been fixed. I also seldom shoot inside. Probably haven't been to an indoor range in 2 years.

So I am pretty sure my exposure is eating lunch at the range without cleaning properly, cleaning guns and reloading.

When I got the D-Lead I also picked up D-Lead wipes that I can keep in my gun cart.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ventilation and Dust in your work area? Have you been working in the same reloading area for a while? How would you even vacuum / clean that?

Maybe opening the bullets etc. outside to reduce the initial exposure and potential residue?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ Yup

when I was an instructor, we were very high(blood levels of PB). I got banned from training for a year. I found it had a lot to do with eating and drinking while at the range. As an Instructor I never took a break and just ate on the line...

Also, our shop was contaminated. We found that wiping down the compartment from top to bottom with a new towel after each wipe, removed almost 90% of the lead the inspectors found.

And they forbid us to eat at our desks (in the same compartment)

my number came down w/o any kinda special stuff. although IIRC spinach and kale are high in something that attaches to the lead and helps cheleate it out of you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder and glad you caught this. I shoot at indoor range with my kids and we wipe / wash hands and forearms. Will double up on cleaning and handling - probably easier to contaminate than I thought. Honestly never gave this too much consideration but now... great reminder.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eat leafy greens, drink milk to help flush it from your system.

Lead does not get into our bodies from our pores.

A dust mask is not enough. Where a respirator designed for air filtration that covers lead.

When washing your hands. Use a scrubbing soap, pumice type. Put the soap in your hands and scrub without using water. Turn on the water and continue scrubbing and rinse. Then, wash your hands again. Each time for at least 30 seconds. Sing Row, row, row your boat each time and it is about 30 seconds.

Be sure you eat before working with lead. If you ingest some on a full stomach, your body will pass it more easily verses absorbing it on an empty stomach.

Don't smoke, use chewing tobacco, eat, or have open drinks while around lead. Definitely do not store any of these items where lead is present.

I work for a battery manufacture and this is part of our annual training. My blood lead was as high as 28 at one time. OSHA isn't too concerned until you are around 32 so y'all are still good! Lol!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Increase the ventilation in your reloading room.

Other than perhaps shaving a bit of lead when seating un-jacketed/-plated/-powder-coated bullets: Where would the lead come from in reloading? Particularly airborne lead?

quote:
Do casting outside, if possible.

Again: The melting point of lead is about 620°F. Boiling point is considerably higher--in the vicinity 3160°F. (Ref: Material Safety Data Sheet - Lead MSDS, Section 9.

As I read it: Lead fumes are a non-existent threat at the temperatures at which hand-casting is done.

quote:
Dust mask. Consider a HEPA air filter in your reloading room when loading and especially when cleaning. Gloves and lots of hand washing. I wash my hands in cold water before washing them again in warm. I tell myself it keeps my pores closed until I get the lead off Smile
(Emphasis added.)
The cleaning part is probably the biggest threat, particularly when dumping the brass to separate it from the media. Probably best done outside, with you upwind and wearing a mask and gloves.

Reloading cast bullets is probably the next biggest threat in the reloading room. I don't perceive of much threat of airborne contamination, but the hand-washing regimen strikes me as prudent. (I do the same: Thorough rinse with cool water, followed by hot, soapy water, when having exposed bare skin to toxic contaminants.)

Learned that one complements of the U.S. Army. They warned us, after being exposed to CS gas, to carefully rinse off in the shower with cool water, first. Those who did not follow those instructions got to find out why.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post