SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Wife's Parents Lost Their Home in a Flood (Crowd Funding/Prayer Request)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Wife's Parents Lost Their Home in a Flood (Crowd Funding/Prayer Request) Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
I requested and received permission before posting this.

My wife's parents are in their mid-70s. They retired to a small rural farm in a small county in OK to be grandparents and raise a few horses and small livestock. They live on modest retirements from social security and my father’s five-decade career as an over-the-road truck driver.

On Wednesday, October 10th midmorning, water from Eagle Chief Creek overflowed onto their property and into their home and that of their neighbor. It’s unknown exactly what caused this to happen because the amount of flooding was disproportionate to the rain received in the area. Their home, contents and curtilage were lost. They were able to get out with their domestic animals. We waded in later that day and saved most of their chickens.

They tried since they bought the property to get flood insurance, but since their county doesn’t participate in FEMA’s flood plan, that is impossible. Without insurance, they have no hope of rebuilding or relocating and are now homeless.

I am at a loss as to how to help them at this point. We are seeking and receiving some support from the community as is typical of the great people of this great state, but it cannot replace a home. I did something I never thought I'd do. I started a GoFundMe Page. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm hoping to get them started on the clean up and find them a place to rent while they decide what to do long term. For now, my wife and I are thankful to have a motor home and our municipality's permission to use our driveway for our temporary home since the folks can't handle the stairs.

Sorry for the ramble. We're all still a little dizzy from the last few days. Please send prayers.

Hill Family Flood GoFundMe

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My childhood home was lost to a flood in 1996 after being flooded before in 1994(we rebuilt it then)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Prayers up, sir.

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And to the member who reported this thread to me, try reading the FIRST sentence of the FIRST post in this thread.

It's hard to miss, unless you didn't read the post at all.

Posts: 107649 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my area, there is a charity called 'helping his hands' that, among other things, will coordinate and/or actually do the re-building for those in need. Around here, that is usually older homes hit by tornadoes that the insured value is significantly less then replacement cost.

You might see if there is something similar.there.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prays for your wife's parents. I can not imagine them having to go through that in their 70's.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The best thing you can do is get in there and remove the furnishings and floor coverings as soon as possible. Remove the drywall a foot above the highest point you see water stains or 4' from the floor, which ever is higher. Take the exposed area down to the studs. This activity will cost you only labor and will save a lot of money if done quickly. Get some fans going and windows open. Just pile the debris up on the lawn away from the house until you can afford to have it removed.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is some great advice by TXJim. It may not be a situation where they need to rebuild but possibly repair. I have seen worse. Still a big job and costly no doubt.

Many do not support GFM. So if there is a Paypal option you may want to list it.

I am sorry to see this. Surely your community is going to help those affected.

Let us know the cause of this as many will be curious.

If your their insurance agent is a local member of the community there may be something he or she can offer. No one wants to see a neighbor suffer.

Prayer sent.

Say's something about them that they saved their animals before their belongs. Good solid folks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The Mormons came out and helped with anything we needed from cleanup to skilled labor.
It saved us tens of thousands of dollars

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the tips and prayers. A lot of the church folks are offering up assistance and we're hoping that will make a difference. They are considering just scrapping it and moving into a trailer somewhere else for fear it will happen again. If they were any less mobile, I don't know if they would have gotten out of there. As of yesterday, there was still two feet of water in the shed.

Again thanks to all for the prayers and donations and to Para for allowing me to post this.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
The Mormons came out and helped with anything we needed from cleanup to skilled labor.

This is a great suggestion. I would like to make some calls to see if there is anyone in their area who can help. I sent you an email to this effect along with my contact information. I understand time is of the essence in these things. Please let me know if I can help. If they have it covered, I understand.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

This is a great suggestion. I would like to make some calls to see if there is anyone in their area who can help. I sent you an email to this effect along with my contact information. I understand time is of the essence in these things. Please let me know if I can help. If they have it covered, I understand.

Reply sent. Thank you.

Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
I've known Warren for many years now (we met through this Sig Forum!). A nicer guy you could not meet. Same for goes for his family and extended family. If you can provide any assistance, it's going to one of the best causes I can imagine!

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post