SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Petition to block Tony B Liar's knighthood tops 700,000...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Petition to block Tony B Liar's knighthood tops 700,000... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59866084

In an unprecedented show of public opinion, at the moment - the figure is growing by the hour - over 700,000 people have signed a petition asking for the PTB rescind the appointment of Tony B Liar to knighthood and the highly prestigious and ultra-rare Order of the Garter - an appointment rarely made to any commoner, especially one loathed as the former prime minister. I've signed the petition, BTW - as a UK tax-payer I'd hate to see my money being used to further fund this person's multi-millionaire lifestyle and that of his self-aggrandising missus. I realise that this is a UK thing, but you must be led to imagine that he has endless ranks of worshippers over here. As for me, I make no bones about my loathing of him and all he stands for, and would cheerfully wave him goodbye as he fell over a cliff.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Order of the Garter"? Is that really a thing? Sounds like a Monty Python item, like the "Holy Sandal" from Life of Brian... Holy Hand Grenade ?

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The article mentions some opposition to his knighthood based only on his support of the Iraq war. If the only argument to rescinding his knighthood is based on his supporting NATO allies in a time of war, then I hope he retains his title.

The article does mention that he damaged the UK Constitution, so what did he do to damage it?

You refer to him as a liar, so what did he lie about?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
"Order of the Garter"? Is that really a thing? Sounds like a Monty Python item, like the "Holy Sandal" from Life of Brian... Holy Hand Grenade ?

It's the most senior order of knighthood, but it does kinda sound like a loose association of guys in a strip club.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this order until now. Interesting.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
You realize how weird it is to care about people who brag about being descended from brigands?

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
tacfoley, I Will expose my ignorance of British politics, but wasnt he a Labour party PM, so here in the US that would comparable to a Democrat/left winger?

If I am correct about that, I am perplexed why the rank and file commoner would be out to get a Labour party PM, isnt he better than a Tori I believe they are called or a Republican/Conservative?

Are folks upset that he supported the Iraq war?
or issues beyond that?

Thanks for the education.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Order of the Garter is the tops as far as knighthoods go, isn't it?

Winston Churchill was given the Order of the Garter, correct? I agree that Blair isn't in Churchill's league, or even close.

I mean, she hands out OBEs and MBEs like candy, but they are more like a royal "atta boy," aren't they?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Of these 700,000 shows of “public opinion” how many actually are Brits? How many are trolls and bots? How many are Facespace dwellers who posted a “sign this petition” to ban H2O type deals?

The number really shows nothing to me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Does that mean Sir Mick Jagger is next? I believe Blair pushed to have him knighted.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Don't they knight actors? You know, grown men that play dress-up for a living? A small child's game?

I mean, the guy was PM, but I guess we can throw a tantrum that the former PM is going to be knighted and we didn't care for his brand of politic.

A child's stompy-foot tantrum.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for me, I make no bones about my loathing of him and all he stands for, and would cheerfully wave him goodbye as he fell over a cliff.

What don't you - and presumably the petitioners - like about him? Was he a frequent flier to Epstein Island or something?

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:

It's the most senior order of knighthood, but it does kinda sound like a loose association of guys in a strip club.

This is from the people that brought you the "Groom of the Stool"

I was quite surprised he was a Labor PM, the way he fellated 43 .... but it makes sense in the way he has turned into a shill for the WEF.

I have not heard many good things about him as of late....but that might be the sites I visit.

Supposedly the Queen herself decides on these positions so I wonder what she saw in him....or if it is just a badge for doing what he is told....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Does that mean Sir Mick Jagger is next? I believe Blair pushed to have him knighted.

He was knighted, but the Queen didn't do the deal. I think Charles did. Mick has made a few choice remarks about the Queen, so . . .

Veeper, there are several kinds of knighthood and they all honor different achievements. Some are for actors, others are for military men, others are for civil servants, etc. Some are more prestigious than others.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edward the third formed the Order of the Garter along the lines of two tournament teams. Margret Thatcher and Edmund Hillary have also been inducted in to it.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sean Connery and Elton John come to mind.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Sean Connery and Elton John come to mind.

Not members of the Order of the Garter. They are some other kind of silly English ka-niggets.