SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lost a Hard Drive
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost a Hard Drive Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In case anybody was wondering where this currently is, it turns out that the original hard drive from the old iMac has some kind of mechanical damage, and was not a matter of being simply erased. This comes as a surprise, as I was encountering no problems with the computer up to this point.

Unfortunately, this precludes any kind of simple software recovery. Meaning the next step is a "clean room" recovery, with a technician in a bunny suit picking manually through the data. Cost runs from a couple to several thousand dollars.

But wait, what about the external backup drive I was using? Though a little overwritten, most if not all of the original data should still be intact, yes? Turns out that yes, the files were recoverable and I now have them in my possession. Cost about $500.

It still means I have to pick through thousands of files one-at-a-time. There are so many files on the recovery drive (many duplicates due to how Time Machine works) that it took several hours just to mount the hard drive to my Mac Mini. But at least it's all there.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
You know what they say: “two is one and one is none". It’s a good reminder for me to get on the ball and set up an off-site backup.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Exactamundo. In this aftermath, I renewed my Carbonite subscription.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My backup strategy:

Two LaCie portable USB disk drives. On odd days of the month I do a Time Machine backup to one. On even days of the month I do a Time Machine backup to the other. If one disk fails the other will have a recent backup.

How I do my backups (auto backup is disabled). Once a day I:
* Disconnect from the Internet.
* Command a Malwarebytes scan.
* When the scan completes w/o errors I command a Time Machine backup.
* When the backup completes I reconnect to the Internet.
That way I can be reasonably confident that all of my backups are clean.

Since I backup only once a day there’s a lot of data to backup. So I disabled the Mac’s backup throttling mechanism so that the once-a-day backup takes less time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I like a program called SuperDuper for Mac. One for one, bit for bit duplicate HD of the main onto an external. It's actually bootable, and browsable. I alternate from red to blue (they sell drives in color (Samsung). I do that weekly.

I also use TimeMachine to a network connected NAS drive.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post