SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shave suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shave suggestions Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
For almost all of my adult life, I have shaved my face by standing before a sink, with hot water, soap and a Gillette (usually) or Bic blade razor. I don’t have a particularly heavy beard. I have maintained my mustache for ~45 years, Wilford Brimley style these days.

I have been satisfied with this approach, but it is becoming harder and harder as my lung disease gets worse. I can still stand, but not long, and can still walk, but not far. Pretty soon, routine hygiene routines will be changing.

For the last few months, I shave every 4-5 days. As I rarely go out, this is OK.

The obvious choice is some electric razor, but I have no idea about what works, doesn’t work. My granddad had an electric, a Remington IIRC. He was into mechanical things, very patient and happily spent time to clean and oil and maintain it. I’m not. That was 50 years ago and more. Surely the industry has advanced since his day.

What are the choices to avoid standing at the sink, or in the shower, by water? Any suggestions?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
For almost all of my adult life, I have shaved my face by standing before a sink, with hot water, soap and a Gillette (usually) or Bic blade razor. I don’t have a particularly heavy beard. I have maintained my mustache for ~45 years, Wilford Brimley style these days.

I have been satisfied with this approach, but it is becoming harder and harder as my lung disease gets worse. I can still stand, but not long, and can still walk, but not far. Pretty soon, routine hygiene routines will be changing.

For the last few months, I shave every 4-5 days. As I rarely go out, this is OK.

The obvious choice is some electric razor, but I have no idea about what works, doesn’t work. My granddad had an electric, a Remington IIRC. He was into mechanical things, very patient and happily spent time to clean and oil and maintain it. I’m not. That was 50 years ago and more. Surely the industry has advanced since his day.

What are the choices to avoid standing at the sink, or in the shower, by water? Any suggestions?

What about a barber and a straight blade 3 times a week?

I don’t grow hair super fast and can get by in my LE career only shaving every other day if I shave with a fresh double edge razor. I imagine a barber with a good blade would do even better. Plus you might find it an enjoyable experience.

Posts: 6372 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Either Norelco or Remington make a decent electric. Most models are rechargeable these days. You can sit and watch TV or play on the Forum and shave at the same time, we won't mind. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What about a barber and a straight blade 3 times a week?

I don’t grow hair super fast and can get by in my LE career only shaving every other day if I shave with a fresh double edge razor. I imagine a barber with a good blade would do even better. Plus you might find it an enjoyable experience.

I seldom leave the house, once in August, with mobility scooter, extra o2 bottles, a real PITA to go anywhere and it wears me out.

I would hope to figure something out here at home.

My wife has started doing haircuts, real exciting!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Either Norelco or Remington make a decent electric. Most models are rechargeable these days. You can sit and watch TV or play on the Forum and shave at the same time, we won't mind. Chris

Any particular models to prefer or avoid?

posted Hide Post
Sorry to read about you health issues JALLEN. I had pictured you in good health. Good thoughts & prayers to you.

When the yearly Christmas commercials kick in, you'll see ol' Santa ridin' down snow covered hills inside a Norelco. I've had years of use on mine with little or no upkeep, just empty the stubble. Wasn't very expensive either. Reliablity, clean shave & reasonable price.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Jim,

When deployed bought a Braun and really liked it (until my puppy liked it even mod than i).

Have you the ability to place a stool next to the bathroom sink? (If anyone asks about it just retort with "where you leave your stool is your business but in this house, we leave it in the bathroom" Big Grin)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Depending on your beard, you might prefer a foil type razor such as a Braun over the rotary Norelco type. I find the rotary type tend to yank on my beard hairs instead of cutting them.

My grandfather always used Williams Lectric Shave to prep his beard-I don’t know if that product is still available.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My grandfather always used Williams Lectric Shave to prep his beard-I don’t know if that product is still available.
It is and I use it weekly. I think the comment about a foil razor might be a good one for you. I bought a Panasonic razor I really like. Its not terribly expensive and the foil/blade replacements are both inexpensive and easy to install. With a little Letric Shave beforehand, it does a very nice job.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, over 40 years I have tried Norelco, Remington, Panasonic and Braun.

Based on my personal experience, Braun is the best by far. Panasonic is second and the others just don't cut it (rim shot).

The maintenance is low.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Braun with the cleaning stand. You put it in the stand every once in a while when it says it’s due, and it shoots a solution that’s very similar to the blue liquid barbers use to sanitize combs and stuff. Easy leash and does a good job

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been using inexpensive rotary shavers for more years than I can remember. Currently using a Norelco 3000 series. You can get from Amazon or Wal-Mart or many other retailers for around $50.

Maintenance is a breeze. After shaving, flip open the top part and rinse under running water. That's it. I usually only rinse it every second or third time depending if I'm in a rush or not. It's cordless, so find a place where you can leave it plugged in, then you can shave anywhere you please. You can buy replacement rotor blades, but I've found they last about 2+ years with my somewhat light beard and then I just buy a new one if it stops cutting properly. Like most rotaries, it has a flip up trimmer to even out your side burns and mustache, and can also fit in your ear to keep those pesky hairs controlled.

Also with electrics it helps if you use a splash pre-electric shave like Williams Lectric Shave. Makes the shave smoother. About $6 at Wal-Mart and others and a bottle will last 5 or 6 months

You can buy more expensive models from Norelco and others but I've always resisted since the cheap onea seems to work fine and I don't have to worry about it going tits up.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Braun with the cleaning station...Simple and easy.

It is self cleaning. All you have to do is change the cleaning solution cartridge when the red light comes on.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You first have to make a choice between rotary and foil. Pluses and minuses to both.

Foil is an easier transition for a blade shaver. Shaving motion is same. The screen itself is the weakness. It will eventually tear and need replacement. I would use one except they don't hold up to my aggresive shaving style.

Rotary may have a slightly longer learning curve, getting use to the circular technique. Edges and sideburns are tricky. But they're very rugged, only needing replacement when they get dull. Some do pull, and are designed to do so, pulling out the hair slightly before cutting it. I actually like it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched permanently from electric to wet shaving about 15 years ago, so my info has to be somewhat general.

My face is lean and sharp-jawed, and for me the foil-type (specifically Remington) worked well, Norelco rotary-style did not. My father had a rounded face, he preferred the Norelco.

Replacement blades and head were readily available for Remingtons back then, but I don't know about these days.

Whatever you get, buy one of the rechargeable models, since you can sit wherever you please to do the job. I understand your discomfort, and think it probably is worse if you have to be stuck in the same spot for any length of time.

I had to chuckle when you named the brands of blades you went through, since I did the same. Gillette twin-blade and some sort of Schick that had a ribbon-type blade rather than individual replacements. Various cartridge razors and whatever innovation was on the shelves for a bunch of years while I did most of the work with the Remingtons.

When I made the permanent switch, Gillette disposables were my choice, and I used them for more than 10 years. The day they switched production to Mexico, I could tell the drop in quality and switched, first to an upgrade Gillette, then Schick, then back to Gillette, now with some $2-each Bic disposables.

Best of luck finding a solution, Jim.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Braun’s higher end electrics (the ones made in Germany) are all I have ever used. I have a somewhat large goatee and hate shaving, fwiw.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7000 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
First off, I'm sorry. That sucks. It is an unimaginable thing to not be able to take care of one's own hygiene.

Witht hat said, I've used an electric for a while, at least for the high spots.

THe best was a Phillips/Norelco 3 curcular blade thing. It takes way longer, but once you get used to it, you don't have to stand there except for the finishing which you do with an actual razor.

You let it charge, then run it over hte high spots... over and over, and over...

Then you can stand in the mirror and hit the high spots in about 2 minutes with an actual razor.

Sadly, it IS more effecient.

Good luck.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wet shave with a a Norelco using a VERY small amount of Cremo shaving cream. Works as well as any blade. The only down side is I cannot get that sharp edge on the sideburns that I want. When I'm done my face is as smooth as a babies ass.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the decline JALLEN, I love reading your posts. I’ve only tried the rotary, as others have said, it takes awhile, but it works. Also as said, and the reason I stopped, is the pulling. I didn’t like it, but you may! I’m thinking of trying the foil myself. Happy shaving buddy!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I don't like the rotary shavers. Braun is the manufacturer that works for me. I've tried Norelco and Remington, but I always come back to Braun for a clean, close shave.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post